View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 11:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am very skeptical of the diagnosis of conversion disorder. I cannot speak for the UK, but in the United States it is diagnosed mostly in the south and very rarely in the north.

From personal experience, a guy i worked with , his wife just suddenly started experiencing many neurological symptoms. literally overnight. They had moved upon his retirement from new york to north carolina. After testing she was diagnosed with conversion disorder. She was given psychological therapy over the course of years, however she kept getting worse. I kept telling him, after researching, that she has symptoms of a stroke.

Finally after years of no progress, he took her up to a hospital back in new york It turned out she had had a stroke. Unfortunately the window of time in which she could have beenhelped with the proper treatment and therapy for stroke was wasted on that conversion disorder diagnosis.

It seems to be a diagnosis they grab hold of when they have no idea what is actually going on.

Have you had testing for small fiber neuropathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsLad84 View Post
Hi everyone

I just wanted to ask those with much better knowledge than me on something that I have been wondering since my last Neuro appointment, and unfortunately I don't have another one in the diary at present.

Just for context, my query is in relation to this wording from my Neuro on current diagnosis:
The working diagnosis here is that of a post-infectious neuropathic syndrome which seems to affect small fibres and to a lesser extent large fibres. These are functional abnormalities as structurally the nerves are normal, neurophysiologically. (Detailed neurophysiological studies looking for abnormalities of large fibres but also small fibre were normal. )

My impression is this is a monophasic type illness and should resolve with time.
So I *think* it sounds like my ACTUAL nerves are fine and there is no damage, so if this is a functioning issue, does this mean what he is describing is akin to functional neurological disorder? Functional neurological symptom disorder: Symptoms and treatment seems to explain it well.

I have read all about myelin sheath, axons, etc. but now wondering if these areas are not actually an issue.

It's all very confusing as he has mentioned neuropathy which I thought was damage/inflammation. I am taking a bunch of supplements at the moment and wondering whether it's actually worthwhile if structurally everything is alright.

Both neuros I've seen have told me what I have should resolve with time, but it's been 7 months now and it seems like a long time to me....

Probably slightly more sensitive to it after having a pretty torrid weekend with pins and needles all over, especially my face. That was after having 1-2 really good weeks with very reduced flare ups.

Thanks in advance!
echoes long ago is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote