View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 05:05 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default New member with rapidly worsening peripheral neuropathy

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but have been lurking for a week or two and have learned a lot. Really appreciate the information and supportive environment.

I'm a 62 yr old lady, who began noticing a small area of numbness on the back of both heels about 7 weeks ago (early August). About a week later I began experiencing a strange numbness/ tingling body wide, along with lightheadedness. This frightened me so I went to ER. They did a CT of head, EMG, and blood tests (CBC, basic metabolic panel, hepatic function panel) all of which came back normal. The referred me to my primary care physician and advised me to see a neurologist. By the time I saw the pcp a week later, the numbness that started in the back of the heels was progressing towards the toes, particularly in the right foot. The pcp didn't do much, other than write up the referral. She did suggest b12, which I started taking.

I was able to see a neurologist a week later. He ordered the following blood tests: ESR, FTA/ABS, TSH, serum B12, folate) Blood tests came back normal. He also ordered an MRI w/o contrast, and performed NCS plus EMG of lower ext. left only. MRI results didn't show anything of significance. NSC/EMG indicated barely noticeable CV loss. Ordered glucose tolerance test, which came back normal.

Meanwhile, the foot numbness has progressed from a small area on the back of the heels to the top of the toes and towards the ankles, all in a matter of a few weeks. Also, my hands are more affected, as I am having increasing difficulty typing this. I wake up noticing changes, which has made sleeping very difficult.

Regrettably, I am a long time drinker, and fear that I probably brought this on myself. I have been drinking fairly regularly for about three decades, about 1-3 beers nearly every night. After noticing the numbness, I cut back and eventually quit over the month of August. Been alcohol free since Sept. 1. In spite of this, these numbness/tingling symptoms are getting worse and I've become an insomniac.

Appreciate any advice. Thank you all!
oldbat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SailinJane (02-28-2021)