View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default work questions - what coverage...

craigj,
I would discreetly look into what coverage you are entitled to. You may want to contact a disability support group. I've been looking at these issues for myself. I was diagnosed when working on a 2 year government contract and as a result I have no insurance. In Canada coverage varies as different provinces have their own disability support programs and Federally folks who go on DCPP or Disability Canada Pension Plan may receive a low monthly income i.e. in my case about $1000.00 per month. Separate from government - your union Handbook would explain your own work place particulars regarding disability. I know your question focuses more on when the body is misbehaving enough to call it quits. Age, medication coverage, workplace policies all factor into the equation. I had to turn down 2 jobs recently b/c my tremors would interfere with typing demands. I’m starting a new gov. job in Dec. where I’m primarily on the phone and my drugs will be covered. It is a sad truth but much of my energy for managing my disease is financial. In closing, if you have a spouse - that might be another policy that may kick into gear. It's hard to push yourself further, but knowing exactly where you stand can help with decision making. Regards, Guy
wwally0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote