View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Large Dental Fistula Remains Post-Extraction

Hello! Four days ago I had two broken, adjacent upper teeth extracted and recovery was easy. No pain, no muss. But I am concerned about the large, firm fistula that remains in the gum. I'm wondering how, with the extraction area healed, the fistula will drain? My dentist told me a piece of the tooth (which he extracted) had been lodged within the gum. He seems an excellent dentist and is, in fact, the head dentist in the clinic. I was given no meds pre- or post-op and don't seem to need any. I am avoiding getting food near the area and doing salt water rinses. There is no pain but a bit of sensitivity, especially if I press on it.

This is a fistula of years standing because for several reasons I did not go for an extraction, although I did get cleanings and x-rays. Near the start of the failed root canal/implant failure (I don't recall which) the dentist fixed things so the abscess/fistula would drain - which it occasionally did.

I see these things usually resolve within a month and it's early yet, but some do not go away at all. In the past I'd tried to shrink/help it with garlic and salt.
Do I seem to be on track for it to progressively get smaller and go away? This is my reason for posting, mainly for reassurance, if that seems to be the case here. I live far from a dentist and he did not mention a check-up is needed. I will be going back in April for cleaning and x-rays.

Thank you for all replies! Any other questions happily answered.

PS I am 70 years old with a strong immune system although root canals after age 60 did not 'take' - possibly after a half-century of dental x-rays, although they were not extensive.
Jenseen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote