Thread: questions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agate View Post
Doctors apparently often don't reveal a finding if they think it's not likely to be a problem for the patient. Why worry the patient needlessly?

At least I'm guessing that that is the way the thinking goes. I appreciate it when I'm told if there's a finding, and a number of times doctors have mentioned something like "a blood blister in your ear" or something else that I hadn't been aware of.

Tarlov cysts are apparently asymptomatic as a rule. That's probably why the surgeon didn't mention it:

Tarlov cysts: A cause of low back pain? - Mayo Clinic

I hope you can get back to your bowling soon! I used to bowl and it was very enjoyable (even though I was terrible at it). I can understand that you would miss it. Interesting chitchat among the players, nice atmosphere, whenever I was bowling anywhere, but maybe truly competitive bowling isn't so relaxed.

I meant to add this to my post.
Thank you for sharing the link. I have read many articles on the disease after doing a Google search on it.

If only it was easy to have the cysts drain but its not. Based on all I have read and after consulting a few of my physicians on it, I was informed the surgery is classified as high risk that can lead to spinal fluid leaks from surgery, especially in my case. Because I have bilateral cysts it is a greater possibility. Plus, the surgeries for it are not a good outcome in most cases. 2 neurologist and neurosurgeons had said there is a great likely hood I would have to have more surgeries after having the first one because the cysts will fill back up with fluid. Because the cysts are connected to the berve roots there is no way kf having them completely removed either. At this point in time there is not enough research on the disease, nor, enough surgeons who perform the surgeries in the U.S. right now. Its best that I wait as long as I can to not have the cysts drained. Only other option is to have epidural injections to help with pain but that too can cause the cysts to grow bigger in size.
Diamond Tiger<3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote