View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 09:52 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Bachissimo,

I have different symptoms and a different trigger, but I also ended up with a migraine diagnosis after many years of dealing with symptom exacerbation after triggering events. I also had an initial concussion that set off the migraine disorder. I have some visual symptoms and some somewhat severe facial pain where my sinuses are (which is my presentation of "headache"), but my primary issue has always been vestibular (I've been diagnosed with vestibular migraine, but one of my doctor's doesn't really like those sub-types...thinks it's all just migraine and each case is unique), and sudden movements seems to be what triggers new episodes. A new episode can set me back 6 months or so, which is frustrating.

Like you, I also have partial symptom control with migraine medication. I'm currently on 100mg of topiramate which has almost completely eliminated my facial pain and visual symptoms. I know this because I tried going off if it and it all came back. It hasn't helped my vestibular symptoms, but physical therapy has.

I do think it's worth while to spread stories like this one here because I wish I had seen this year's ago when I felt lost. Most concussion doctors don't know much about migraine and unless it presents in it's classic form (super bad headache for 48 hours then you're fine), it can be really confusing for them to identify. The neurologist I see now told me it's super common for migraine to begin to present after concussion or more significant head injury, so I do feel like there's a bit of a disconnect where some of these ongoing PCS cases can be perpetuated by migraine, but the connection isn't being made because the doctors treating the patients aren't trained in it.
BurritoWarrier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote