View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Shellie,

I'm really concerned about your work causing problems post-op, especially during the first 3-6 months post-op while scar tissue is being laid down.
An ergonomic work station is really key - if the agency can't provide everything due to budget you may have to kick in some $, but it will be money well spent if it prevents future problems. A really good computer chair with lumbar support and a high back and padded arms is one recommendation. There are many different mouse models, and keyboard options, I can't advise on those but someone will come along with their favorites I'm sure. Be sure the monitor is eye level or just below. Most importantly, take frequent breaks from the computer work, change positions, get up and stretch, get a drink or walk about the room. Set a timer if need be, no more than 15 minutes at a stretch without some type of break, after an hour do some other type of work.

Can you get a headset for phone calls? Can you ask the agency to have someone drive you to appts for the first month back? Can you go back 1/2 days the first week back? Talk with someone now and see how flexible they are willing to be. Explain that you want to be back at work and productive as soon as possible, but you don't want to push things too fast and end up undoing the good work that the surgeon has brought you.

Ask your surgeon Monday about post-op restrictions, driving, return to work, etc, as he will have his own orders. And maybe you could talk to the PT place in advance, so you could let your work know ahead of time which days of the week you will be leaving early or coming in late.

Hope you get everything answered Monday!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote