View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 08:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hey laurie!

with all the generics available for meds, you can ask the pharmacist which fillers are used in the medicine you get. if the pharmacist doesn't know, you can call the manufacturer of the drug and find out or you can try googling it.

i've had tourette syndrome since around age 6. i've been on a benzodiazepine named klonopin (generic version), for 30+ years for ptsd. since the covid pandemic, i've also been on an antidepressant called zoloft (generic version). it is also indicated for panic disorders, chronic anxiety and ptsd. it has given me that extra boost i needed since the beginning of this year.

i would recommend going to a neurologist to get a thorough work-up and see what type of anxiety your son has. a lot of doctors are leery of prescribing benzo's as a first time treatment for anxiety, but chronic anxiety and panic disorders are tough to live with. the antidepressant might be prescribed as a first line of treatment, as antidepressants are viewed as less problematic than benzo's.

interestingly, i was also given buspirone for anxiety one time and had weird psychological and physical reactions to it.

i hope your son finds a med that helps his anxiety or some other non-pharmaceutical treatment. cognitive behavioral therapy is great. having tourette and panic disorders/anxiety is really hard for a young person (i remember those days). i'm in my 60's now and have been on 2.5 mg. of klonopin/ day since my mid-30's. i can definitely say that i would rather have tourette than panic disorder. i don't think i would have had as good a quality of life had i not been able to control my panic attacks/anxiety due to ptsd with the klonopin.

good luck to you and your son....i know you are very concerned and have been concerned about him for a long time. i can assure you life does get better and your son has an excellent path to having the life he wants!

jeannie
akatc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote