Thread: My White Garden
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 05:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dear Steffi....

You can expect a reality answer from me. No sugar coatings. Although you ARE a sweet person.
I once spent 6 years of my life in a city called Victoria in BC, Canada. They had a wonderful public gardens there, known as Butchart Gardens. They had every imaginable bush, shrub, flower, vine, etc, that at some point of the year yielded flowers of every color of the rainbow. These gardens are a very British thing, so I think I know why you would propose what you have.
Just think though, although your endeavour wouldn't be on the scale of the Butchart gardens, they had HUNDREDS of young healthy employees, who worked year round to make the whole endeavor possible.
And how many white flowers are there, not quite as many as there are PWP, methinks.
So why don't you plant a few bushes or trees that each have thousands of white flowers, and open your garden to the public every now and then to gaze at the millions of white flowers, each little one representing a nameless PWP? THat way, by the time the bushes or trees are ready, the work will be done, it will be self perpetuating with little or no work to be done on your part, because by then you will be probably not able to do any hard gardening work yourself. Keep the orchard, and charge anyone coming to your PD garden DOUBLE the price to pick the fruit that you grow in your orchard, half of which YOU keep for all your hard work, and half to benefit local PWP.
Leave the raising of the billions of dollars that it's going to take to conquer PD to others who can more easily do this kind of thing.
My first selection would be a true Magnolia Tree, which has thousands of white fragrant blossoms for a few weeks each spring; that's probably the number of PWP in your county alone.
It always amazes me how good people, going through tough times want to help OTHERS. Now if only we could get all of the healthy young people with no current major problems in their lives to do the same, we would all get SOMEWHERE, in the fight to eradicate serious, debilitating disease, instead of fighting each other. but
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote