View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 01:11 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

L-Tryptophan may work for some if their body properly converts it to 5-HTP. I tried it and got marginal benefit. I added 5-HTP and eventually stopped taking the L-Tryptophan.

L-Tryptophan exists in the body waiting for a request to be converted to 5-HTP as it enters the nervous system. 5-HTP becomes serotonin and melatonin.

Since 5-HTP converts directly to serotonin and melatonin, one must monitor their dose to find the right dose. Too much can cause serotonin syndrome. Excessive sweating is the obvious symptom of serotonin syndrome. I lived on the edge of serotonin syndrome for 14 years. I could break into a sweat taking the garbage out.

If L-Tryptophan can cause an improvement, it is a great supplement. You can take more than needed and the body will not convert it all to 5-HTP.

I started with 50 mgs in the AM. I upped to 100, then 150 and settled at 200 mgs in the AM. I also take 200 mgs of L-Theanine. My doctor likes the combination. So do I.

If I forget my morning dose, I notice it that night. I can't get to sleep.

The side effects of SSRIs are real but over stated. I would have momentary sensations of nausea. Never vomiting. Once I recognized what those sensations were, I just ignored them. The ED and libido issues were real but not horrible. I was prescribed some Testosterone and those almost resolved completely. The sweating was annoying but due to my high dose.

BUT, with an SSRI, (I was taking 60 mgs of Paxil/paroxetine), I could get control of my repetitive thoughts (perseverance) that have been exhausting me. I could get a song stuck for days.....Or spelling a challenging word..... or somebody's odd name..... Mundane thoughts that were exhausting me mentally. The side effects were worth it until I found 5-HTP and learned some work-arounds.
I still cannot tolerate music with repeating lyrics.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
davOD (11-21-2020)