View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 03:08 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Yeah, I've heard taking iron can be quite damaging if your levels are high, but mine are very low (~13 ferritin and high transferrin). I have iron deficiency anemia.

So in theory, iron supplements should only help, but it does seem like they've been hurting.

Then again, I've got to get the iron up, since I'm experiencing problems likely linked to the anemia (cold hands, tingling that's different from neuropathy, extreme exhaustion, etc).

I'm worried about the infusions. If simple iron supplements cause such a massive flare-up, what would infusions do?

I feel like my only issue is to try to get off the nexium again, and trying to up my levels naturally via things like organ meat (I'm mostly just eat fish meat, so this will be hard). I've already tried to taper off once of the Nexium a year ago, because I knew it wasn't good for me even before the anemia, but ended up getting back on because of the vomiting.

Also, evidently the gastroparesis can cause these vitamin deficiencies.

My neuro is also sending me to a university neuro center to see if I possibly have serious autonomic neuropathy due to the bradycardia, gastroparesis, and orthostatic hypotension.

I just feel like I'm in a vicious cycle I can't climb out of, no matter how hard I struggle. I've lost tons of weight. Ever since the first pancreatitis attack several years ago (and then gallbladder removed), I've struggled. But I'm not even 50 yet. I've got kids to take care of.
Eric_S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote