View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jenseen,

I read through your posts about your fistulas, abscessed teeth, root canals, extractions and attempted dental implants..

An oral fistula, as you have described, is a tract of infection that burrows through the bone and comes through the oral tissue to try and drain. What you see on your gum is only the drainage opening. What you don't see is the tract of diseased bone. Which should be showing up on a dental xray.

The fistula occurs from retained infected teeth. It also commonly occurs with root canaled teeth because that procedure is basically a temporary measure to "retain" unhealthy teeth, it does not cure the infection within the tooth or the jaw bone.

The extractions, based on what you described, were incomplete if any piece of tooth was left in there as that piece is a constant source of irritation and bacteria. The fistula should also have been surgically debrided and all diseased tissue and bone should have been removed. If those steps were not taken, then the area remains infected and is not likely to heal properly.

Dental implants require adequate healthy bone and tissue in order to be successful. They fail if that criteria is not met.

It is never wise to take antibiotics as you have described and here's why.
Antibiotics do not stimulate the body's natural healing mechanisms, they do just the opposite by killing off the natural occurring good bacteria.
It takes an oral antibiotic 24-48 hours to break through the good bacteria in order to get to the bad to reach the infection. That's why antibiotics like amoxicillin need to be taken for certain lengths of time to be effective.
Every time you take amoxicillin for less than 7 days, you disrupt it's ability to
work properly. However, your situation may not be cured by the antibiotic even if you take it as prescribed if the surgery to remove the teeth, and the diseased bone and tissue was incomplete.

Please clarify something ... did you go to a dental clinic or dental school for your dental surgery?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenseen View Post
Wondering if anyone still comes around to answer questions?

It will be six days from two full months since my double extraction, which has healed up great. However, usually night or morning, there is still drainage from this formerly huge fistula pre-extraction.

I am far from a dentist and don't have a way there, so I'm hoping someone will let me know if this could be normal in the resolution of a huge fistula or if infection remains and it may be eating into the bone.

Every few weeks I take a little amoxicillin to help the natural healing process. Although it has shrunk a lot and there's no pain or discomfort, this does seem to be a very long time (the outside time was shown at a single month) and now it's become concerning.

Any information at all will help - Thanks!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote