View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Clarissa,

The first think you need to understand is quite simple.

Every brain injury is different. Watching athletes recover from helmet to helmet or helmet to hard ground/ice hits is totally different. A bare head to had floor is much more intense. Do not try to compare. It is a losing game. Don't ask, "How long will this take?"

You should not be a hermit in a dark room. That is bad and old medical advice.

You want to be gently stimulating your brain so it gets good blood flow. If you are struggling with most activities, find some things to do that are manual oriented. Knitting, playing cards with real cards, even Solitaire, and that type of activity. The hands cannot move faster than a struggling brain can follow or direct. Video games move too fast. MineCraft is as complex as one should even try. Put your cell phone on silent. You do not want your brain to be waiting in anticipation of a text or other communication. The small screens that can move so fast can also be a struggle.

You need to focus on moderating the stimulation in your environment. Many find that a room with a lot of wall decorations and such is visually over-stimulating. Much of the music that is current to this time, even 30-40 something genres, are too stimulating with drums, synthetic sounds, voices full of angst, and such.

Try to find a music type that allows your brain to relax. Not boring music but relaxing music. For example, I use Diana Krall's album, The Look of Love, to settle my mind. It is light jazz. I have others, too. I play a lot of 60s and 70s music. Foreign language singing works good because your mind enjoys the music and sounds of a voice without needing to focus on the words.
I used to fall asleep to the lively Irish music of Celtic Woman. It is very well arranged, orchestrated, and sung. No chaotic sounds.

It will likely take some time for you to find your sweat spot of stimulation that activates your brain without over-stimulating it.

The experts want mTBI patients to start this moderated stimulation within 48 hours to reduce the collection of toxins.

Good quality sleep at regular times is paramount. The brain detoxifies during slow wave sleep that comes after REM sleep. REM sleep is good for brain blood flow. Slow wave sleep is even more important for allowing toxins to drain out in the brain's glymph system.

We realized my neck issues when my wife noticed I would sleep with a calm look on my face when I was in good posture in my recliner but I would have a strained look on my face when I slept in poor posture in bed. She could predict my foggy days by my sleeping facial expression.

I learned how to achieve that good sleep posture with low stress sleep in bed but it took a long time to train my body to sleep that way, flat on my back, thin pillow curled/bunched around my ears, with my arms at my sides and hands on my belly. I can often fall asleep and wake up in the same position.

Most of the treatment for concussion is self-treatment. Doctors cannot do much unless you need visual and vestibular therapy. That is why a good visual and vestibular assessment is valuable.

So, try to recognize those activities, environments (sound and visual) and postures that leave you feeling better. If you find yourself not understanding what somebody said or what you are trying to read, that is a sign of mental fatigue. Take a break. If you have to read a line of text twice, take a break from reading. I hope you will notice the pattern.

It sounds like your job has a lot of back and forth, need to respond immediately. That is high stress. Not beneficial.

Multitasking is also high stress. that is hard for a mom and productive employee to stop but you must.

And, if your husband and kids say you are reacting differently, that is likely your concussion, not PMS. It can manifest the same. Ask for grace.

I understand what you are going through because I did the same 20 years ago, 25 years ago, 46 years ago, 50 years ago, and 55 years ago. Bad concussions each time.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote