View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 05:05 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbat View Post
Hi Mary,
Unfortunately my symptoms have been steadily worsening, although I can still get around OK. It's been about 3 1/2 months without alcohol and I have no desire for it anymore, particularly considering the damage. I had one horrid doctor recently who berated me for drinking and told me that its only going to get worse. Some people have been lucky and able to reverse their neuropathy, but perhaps my alcohol consumption went on too long. Still hoping and praying for a miracle.
Hey Bat,

The first 3 months are the hardest in respect of coming to terms with chronic pain and a life without alcohol. You have endured those days, you have got through them and they will never be as bad again. I remember sitting at home trying to watch TV at the beginning of UK lockdown at the end of March ( my fist symptoms were mid January) and I had hurt my back at the same time and everything hurt, I couldn't even find a comfortable place to sit. I remember thinking that if this gets worse I won't be able to continue.

Luckily for me, Lockdown gave me 3 months of rest and recuperation. And I slowly recovered. That is the point, recovery and nerve regeneration are slow. It requires patience. You are doing the right thing, things will get better. I spoke to some guys on the thread Alcohol Neuropathy Part 2 and they said it took about a year to fully feel better, but their symptoms were much worse than ours. One guy was in a wheelchair for several months. It took me maybe 5 months to recover. I actually became over confident and thought I was cured and drank, experienced symptoms and had to start again. Over the months I changed my whole diet (Vegan) and lifestyle and focused on getting well. I think it's very important to try and do everything you can to allow your body to heal itself. Develop a wellness plan. I'm at the position now where I am pretty much symptom free apart from say awareness of my toes from time to time.

You don't need a miracle. You just need time and a bit of effort.
Here are some supplements you may want to consider ...

NERVE HEALING SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin B1; thiamine but best to take Benfotiamine the fat soluble form as you can store it in your liver. B vitamins are water soluble so pass out of our bodies .This together with
Vitamin B12 are the most important supplements. I take 1000ug of methylcobalamin a day.

A quality broad spectrum multi B Vitamin. Don't overdo B6
B Complex 50 ~ 100 mg
Vitamin D3 1000 ~ 5000 IU
Magnesium 400 ~ 600 mg
Omega - 3 (EPA DHA) from Algae Oil or Fish Oil 1000 ~ 2000 mg a day
Eat milled flax seed and chia seed for additional omega 3.
Turmeric 500 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 ~ 1200 mg
CoQ-10 100mg

I wish you well,

Atty
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
oldbat (12-20-2020)