View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My brother and I have taken control of this situation. The social worker is recommending a PEG tube temporarily, and placing her in a chronic care facility AGAIN..just to mess her brain up more I think..sometimes these people just think they have a little too much power. They apparently did a "geriatric assessment" on my mom...how long did that take?? 15 minutes maybe...we've known her for 50 years!! Their assessment is.."insert PEG tube, give tylenol for pain, move to a window so she can distinguish night and day, get up 3x a day..etc..etc"..and probably restrain her since she doesn't understand and pulls the tubes out...nice life...ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

We've talked to her home where she lives, they are fully capable to have her back in her condition right now, she has recovered enough from the surgeries, both hip and intestinal, we are getting her a hospital bed in her room, in a place were all her pictures are on the wall, all her stuff is there, her friends are there...THEY WANT HER THERE! and are going to spoon feed her until she can feed herself, and get her up and move and get her strength back, we will hire a PT person to come every day to work with her, we need to give her this chance for a couple of months to see if it works, and fortunately we have the funds right now that we can do this. I want my mother back..and by them "recommending" shoving her onto another unfamiliar "facility" where the people who work there have such heavy accents so she can't even understand them is not the answer at this point. She will be discharged monday at the latest..and we will see how she does in a place that she is happy, and comfortable, and have people who really care take care of her, she needs some emotional stability right now to heal her brain before we can work on the physical...it drives me crazy that they just want to keep shoving her around all these facilities..and think the answer to her delerium is to throw more crap at her, and do more surgery to insert a PEG tube.

I will keep you posted here on how she does, she has a GP at the home, that will modify her medications/vitamins and diet per her needs, and it is full nurse staffed...my hopes is that once she is in a place that is familiar to her she likes..she will do better...we have to try..what they are doing is not working. She went in there fine..and is now a basket case...I fully believe this has part to do with their negligence when she first started vomiting green..and nothing was done until it was so bad, she was in a state of delerium she hasn't really come out of.

thanks again for your prayers...will keep you posted.

carrie
carrie12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote