View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hey guy,

I pretty much stopped talking about sympathectomies years ago, after the practice was so widely discredited that it didn't come up as a forum topic anymore. I stopped researching it at the same time, since it no longer seemed relevant, so I'm not aware of any new research that might alter my opinion about the procedure; that it causes more harm than good.

I hope my last words aren't too offensive to you (or others) but they represent the views of most researchers who have studied this surgery (three years ago anyway), and I believe they still do. Anyone considering this surgery should research it very carefully and at the very least get a second opinion from an independent source.

I oppose the procedure and believe it is harmful, but am not so curmudgeonly as to hope that it won't help you, or to criticise you for going ahead with it: Pain relief from sympathectomies has been known to last more than two years, and I can certainly understand why someone would opt for that and let the future take care of itself.

I hope that you get more relief than anyone in history and that it lasts through a very long life.

If you are not so fortunate, I hope you don't blame yourself for any consequences: We make the best decisions we can, based on the best information available to us and we aren't always 100% right. That's a rather common feature of being human.

I do wish the best for you and very much want to be wrong about my misgivings. I hope you will continue to tell us about your progress, and if things don't work out as you hoped, about that too. Your words (either way) will help others considering sympathectomies, and helping others is what we're all about here...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote