View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 03:13 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyt View Post
Thanks, I do fair bit of exercise. Wondering whether you have any idea how long it takes to plateau and also to go away? Appreciate your response.
Suzyt
Hey Suzyt,

You are an amazingly fit 74 year old. Not many people your age can do what you do. I hope you realise that.

Neuropathy is awful. Neuropathy is grim. It wrecks your present and it steals your future and it even messes with your past. But only if you allow it to. Everyone who has had neuropathy has had some point feared a wheelchair loss of independence as their symptoms worsen. We are all human and we are all vulnerable. We all face uncertainty.

I can't answer your question, the one that you have been asking throughout this thread, namely, when will it all go away? I don't think even a neurologist could make an accurate prognosis such is the variability of symptoms for a given individual.

You appear to have got diet and fitness sorted and presumably supplements but I'm not sure you have manged the anxiety/stress that neuropathy brings.

I've been interested in the value of calmness, anxiety reduction, rest and sleep in healing/ well-being. In the first lockdown, I had 3 months paid leave and despite my PN symptoms I had a sense of peace and calm when the world and my career paused. It was a joy. My goal has been early retirement since.

I've been very much influenced by the neuroscientist and ophthalmologist Andrew Huberman. He has a podcast on YouTube. Although this isn't from the podcast, this is a good start.

The Science of Stress, Calm and Sleep with Andrew Huberman - YouTube

Headspace on Netflix is also a great introduction to Mindfulness, and meditation though I think its an advert for a Paid for App.

One thing that Huberman talks about as a method for easing ourselves to sleep is to focus on Gratitude last thing at night. This engages our nervous system switches off the fight/flight reflex and so aids restful sleep.

We should count our blessings, not sheep!
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote