View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Father's Pain

This is concerning my father. About 3-4 years ago he was cutting down a cedar behind his home with a chainsaw. He was not wearing a shirt and some of the sawdust/pitch got on his shoulder. Over the next few days he developed sores that turned into deep “cut like” patterns in his skin on his right shoulder/neck area… striped “cuts” about 5 – 6 inches long. He went to the veterans hospital and they said it was a dermatological reaction (I can find out the name if that would help)… over the next several weeks he was given different treatments. The pain was unbearable and he couldn’t sleep. The doctors, over the next 2 years, eventually told him that there was nothing they could do. He is living with constant pain in his shoulder (feels like a propane torch). 2 years ago he was also diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Last year his wife (my mother) of 56 years died of multiple myeloma. My father’s legs and feet have swollen over the last 6 months to the point of immobility. He was such a strong man, it is really hard for me to see this… never-the-less, I want to make sure that I seek every avenue I can pursue to try and help restore him to health. It is the pain in his shoulder that is the real debilitating factor along with the loss of hope to find some way to relieve it.

I am living in another state and all I can do is talk to him and encourage him over the phone.

Is there any other thing we should pursue?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
rubantin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote