View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hi Lara. Glad to hear back from a parent of young people on the spectrum with previous viral/infectious related health issues. I'll answer your questions as best as I can here.

Original Illness - The original illness at the start was a sudden onset of flu-like symptoms. I previously never went see doctors about any common cold or flu bug that had during my lifetime, since they always cleared up quickly on their own without any problems. I thought this virus/infection was no different from this so I never thought to see a doctor. I wish I had known better though, since the severe brain fog and mental deficits that came with it (which made me fail a college course I was days from completing) was something I never experienced. However at the time, I thought this was just a symptom of the virus/infection and would go away once it resolved itself. But after this tiredness and "brain fog" lingered for 3 months after the flu symptoms resolved itself, I then seen a doctor. I got one bloot test at this time just to check my blood sugar which was fine of course.

Strep Infection - No, I was never diagnosed with a strep infection as a child and didn't have any previous infection as a child that I seen a doctor for.

Tests - I've had all the routine blood tests the NHS do several times, including tests for Coeliac and Lyme disease, all of which have showed up normal/negative. I also had a CT scan of my brain where nothing showed up abnormal.

Medications - My current GP prescribes a low dose (8/500mg) of co-codamol. This is almost ineffective now and I regularly buy stronger 12/500mg tablets from chemists since this is the highest dose I can get legally. The propranolol was also prescribed by a GP.

Propranolol - A GP prescribed me propranolol once, after claiming my illness was anxiety. The doctor was very insistent on giving me antidepressants which I didn't want because of the side effects, so I was given these to try on a 10mg dose, being told they were safe and had no effects. However, after just one dose, I took a severe reaction to them. I had symptoms which lasted several months after this, including heart spasms, various arrhythmias which appeared out the blue, tremors and shakes. After the symptoms resolved themself, some of the heart arrhythmias (SVT attacks, bigeminy) came back and are now perminent symptoms with my illness. I also started to get noticable symptoms of intracranial hypertension or increased intracranial pressure (severe pain in head when lying down, worse headaches at night) during this time.

Post-Viral Syndrome - The first GP I seen about this illness (3 months after the initial virus onset) almost instantly "diagnosed" me with Post-Viral Fatigue during my first appointment, without ruling anything out with tests, then said it was ME/CFS several months later. The doctor was reluctant to do any testing, saying that it will "probably be negative anyway" and kept saying "there's no cure" repeatedly. I reckon if I had seen a better doctor at the time, this illness could have been addressed earlier on before it had gotten to this stage. Now the doctors are stumped with my endless growing list of symptoms and don't know what to do.
SeanQHX1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-23-2021)