View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicric2020 View Post
Hello all, my son had developed a tremor a few years back but didn't pursue medical attention. He lives in an isolated area in Canada. I went with him to the neurologist last week and I concur it's Parkinson's because of the tremor and associated rigidity and lack of arm swing. I am devastated for him. He is devastated and not handling this very well. He has a family including a 16 month old baby. I am afraid because it seems the tremor has markedly increased over the last 2 years. I am terrified even to ask questions or should I say hear the answers.

If anyone who has early onset Parkinson's, I would appreciate an outreach.

My son has been very athletic, including being an expert Class IV kayaker. He almost died last time he went down river (3 months ago) because of loss of control on right side of body.

I don't know what I want from my post since I'm afraid of any answer I might hear. But I know I need to confront this so I can support him.

Thanks.
Hello Nicric,

So sorry to hear about your son. It is a heartbreaking thing to find out. I was just diagnosed as probable parkinsons last week, although I’m not in the early onset category. It’s good that your son is an athlete. Staying active and exercise are very helpful.

My neurologist did mention cycling as an activity that may delay progression. Here’s one site I found that discusses some of the cycling research. Cycling and Parkinson's: What We Know (and are learning) So Far - Davis Phinney Foundation

Here’s an article on Alan Alda that I’ve included because of his positive attitude. Here he talks about what he does to stave off parkinsons symptoms. Alan Alda on how he keeps Parkinson's symptoms at bay

I’m just getting started trying to figure out the best way forward and will pass along anything else I run across that looks helpful. Best of luck and hugs for both you and your son.
oldbat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote