View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 05:07 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default PT very important

Current studies are finding that physical therapy can at times get results as good as surgery but with less risk.

I’ve had back issues since age 10 (first time surgery was suggested) and both cervical and lumbar stenosis for over 10 years now with treatment due to pain beyond what over the counter meds can handle and change in what I can do physically. Things I’ve found that help:

Educating yourself about your condition is very important.

Never be afraid to ask your doctors questions, ask for an alternate explanation if an answer does not make sense.

Make notes and write down questions prior to doctor appointments so you don’t forget anything. It’s so easy to follow where the conversation leads and end up not asking something you really wanted to know causing you to have to wait for your next appointment.

If you ever feel like you are not being heard, you can get a second opinion. You always need to advocate for yourself (politely when possible-doctors generally want to do their best for you).

Stay positive, I believe it does help. Having a counselor to talk to if what’s happening overwhelms you or makes you anxious can help a lot.

Finally, support groups can be very helpful as the empathy not just sympathy helps too. I used them for both C Difficile and a hysterectomy. I still contact friends I met in those groups regularly, not all from the continent I live on.

I too am 50 but with cervical stenosis at 4 levels and lumbar stenosis, disc issues, L4 recently slipped forward. I’ve learned a lot on the journey and you will too.
Northernlights300 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-27-2021)