Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 06:07 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default New member

I’m 50, and a gr8-12 math/science/special ed teacher on long term medical now. I’m not new to back and spinal issues. The spinal cord issues are mostly due to an old trauma causing arthritis and early damage. I also have a birth defect(L5 fused on one side to hip-surgery first suggested at age 10 for this).
I have both cervical and lumbar stenosis at multiple levels each. I’ve had treatment for lumbar stenosis including medication and steroidal injections (8-10 at a time due to living so isolated in the great white north on the Alaska Hwy). I’ve lost control of function below the waist once but since functioned returned within 24 hrs it was determined that surgery could wait. I barely survived a severe pneumonia about 5-6 years ago so I’m high risk for Covid. I am monitored for a couple cancers including lung cancer due to some growths. Covid has caused surgery to be postponed multiple times. Now the surgeon isn’t sure surgery is the answer any more. The pain is ridiculous causing high blood pressure. Along with the stenosis most of the lumbar discs are bulging pushing against the cord and just recently my L4 slipped forward. The pain is referred over the butt and down both legs. The cervical stenosis has caused my body to go completely limp when I used to play tennis years ago, I could no longer golf. At least 4 levels are involved. I’ve had unilateral facial numbness and same side arm numbness for less than an hour at a time a few times over the last year. But in the last two days I had full body immobility for a couple minutes followed by left side facial and left arm numbness and immobility for an hour the one night. My doctor is having my flown to the closest hospital with MRI as my last cervical MRI was in 2016. Who knows, maybe it’s more than 4 levels now. Tonight though it hasn’t stopped. I can move but my entire left side feels numb and cold. I mean entire side. It’s weird because the other side is normal except for mild numbness on right side of my face. My left arm has a little weakness that comes and goes. I get my vaccine shot tomorrow and I will contact my doctor with the numbness progression.

I joined the support group last night because I’m just overwhelmed right now. I’m also wondering if the loss of control below the waist was actually due to the lumbar stenosis or the cervical stenosis. My husband gets too upset and worried so I’m on my own although I do talk to a counselor now and then. I’ve used other support groups for two other serious issues and figured it’s past time I did so for my spine. Being isolated I’ve met my neurosurgeon in person once and on phone once. In a couple weeks I’ll find out if surgery will even be done as the surgeon is not sure it will be best.
Northernlights300 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-26-2021)