View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 04:56 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Another update to my increasingly worse situation

It's only been a few days since my last post regarding this, but I'm becoming more and more worried about my mom's memory rather than her neuropathy. I mean the neuropathy's bad to the point that she can hardly go up the stairs, sure, but even so it'd be easy for me to just help her up the stairs and then call someone to drive us around. Better yet, even if she COULDN'T leave, she could still WORK. She's an accountant (I think. It has something to do with managing money/bills. Whatever it is she does, it requires her memory be in tip-top shape), 90% of what she does, she can do at home on her laptop (and has been almost exclusively since the pandemic). But now that her memory's shot? No chance of making enough money to pay rent alone, let alone other bills like internet or insurance.

My mom's memory seems to have stagnated in it's recovery-- or it's improving so slowly that I can't even tell if it's getting better. It's worrying. She forgets things almost immediately sometimes still, she forgets to pay bills, she forgets so much she has to write down every single thing that's said to her during calls with people like her doctor or the neurologist or she won't remember any of it. We don't even know what could be causing it, and now we're at a point where we're drowning in so many bills that we're gonna have to put off even trying to go get blood tests, which also cost money we don't have. And then there's her glucose levels which are also elevated (116), and I've seen neuropathy doesn't really get better until that's accounted for, but dealing with that in and of itself right now just seems like such a large beast to handle, mainly because we have no money to just buy diet-related foods that would help lower/keep her blood sugar in check. It just feels like we're stuck in a shrinking cage and every time we try to reach out to grab the key to unlock it, the cage shrinks even faster.

I'm sorry to have to sound like such a downer-- I just...I'm at a lost at what to do here. Every story that I've read regarding neuropathy didn't also have to deal with memory loss, so I guess our case is a terribly unique one. But it makes me wonder what we can even do to fix it? She's been on her current vitamins (B1, Methyl-B12 and D3) for only 10 days so far, in the case of the B12. D3 has been a couple days longer (maybe 3/14), B1 has been since 3/9. I've done some more looking things up since it feels like we're so inundated we can't just go and get tests or anything, I've seen some problems with the liver (such as cirrhosis) can also cause memory issues due to hyponatremia being a frequent complication of it (which she did have at the beginning of all this, and then it came back maybe a week or two later)...alcohol damages the liver, right? Maybe that's what we're dealing with. Then again, I'm no doctor, and the only thing I even know about is her B12 levels (which were taken weeks ago), so maybe not. Maybe it's her magnesium, or her B6 levels. But before we can even find out what it is via a test, we need both a ride there and the wealth stability to even afford it.

When I read Icehouse's story, it seemed like such a miracle that gave me so much hope that my mom could recover just the same, except for one big problem: I don't think Icehouse had to deal with memory issues at all during his recovery journey, which makes me think that our journey is going to be even harder for it.

Someone from Pathways is going to come and draw my mom's blood sometime this week I think, so at least we have that going for us. Don't need to have someone drive mom there, we can find out her sodium levels that way. And then maybe I can ask her doctor or whoever calls us back for her nutrition levels. Maybe her memory issue is really just low magnesium/vitamin B. It'd make life so much easier for us both if it were as simple as giving her supplements for a few weeks and then maybe 1-3 times a week after to get her memory back.

I hope everyone's doing okay, either way. Advice would be appreciated though, because it feels like I'm running out of time to save my mom.
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote