View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomar View Post
Is your mother on a cholesterol med, like Lipitor?
That can cause memory issues, plus affects the liver also..
Well, she's on Gabapentin which I've heard can cause memory issues-- but this started over 40 days ago when she was on Lisinopril-HCTZ for her blood pressure disorder I think they called it. She was 100% fine until maybe a few nights before she went into the hospital. She got hyponatremia from her Lisinopril-HCTZ, which is originally why I thought she had memory issues. After that was taken care of though, she still exuded forgetfulness when she got back home, though not as bad. She's on a different kind of Lisinopril now, so I didn't think it'd still be causing her memory issues...but maybe it is? I'm not sure anymore. She's not on Lipitor, though. I don't think she's on any kind of cholesterol medication-- but I don't know if that would be the same thing as medication for blood pressure problems, either, or like edema or something. She's on B1 (Thiamine), Methyl-B12, Vitamin D3, Lisinopril, Gabapentin 300mg, Omeprazole, Oxybutynin & Amlodipine, all of which she takes once in the morning except for Methyl-B12 (x2 a day on an empty stomach, as I've seen repeated many a time here) and Gabapentin 300mg (x3 a day). Didn't start on the B12 until 11 days ago, too. Hope this info helps.

We're also ordering some magnesium today for her to start takin, but it probably won't get here for a while. We're gonna start with the smallest dose we can, on the chance she might not be low on it. But we're getting it in the first place considering her years of alcohol abuse, so hopefully this'll help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Hi SoulfulYin,
Apart from you and your mother, do you have any other close relatives or support people who can help. I may have missed it if you wrote in a post already, but I'm not even sure if you're an adult and it worries me very much that you are maybe dealing with the responsibilty of helping your mother become well again all on your own.

I'm asking this because of personal experience and I know how difficult it has been for my own daughter, who is actually a young adult, to suddenly become a carer of sorts for me while I was and am still going through some full-on health issues in the past few years.

Do you have a good relationship with your mother's doctor? They should be helping you sort out her health care.
We have my grandma, who definitely has helped a little bit, but she has to take care of my great grandma most of the time so she's already very busy.

We have my uncle, who used to help her up the stairs (but good news-- when PT came today she managed to go both up and down the flight of stairs on her own! one big step forward, today) and drove her around in her car, but now he's likely exposed himself to COVID so we can't have him help us anymore for a while.

The only other really dependable person was one of my aunts, who lives in Florida. She has her own family to take care of though, so it's very unlikely we could get her to come back here again for even another weekend. But she did offer to help my mom with her bills and stuff-- told her to organize a list of things she needs to pay and to send them to her to let her help. So we at least have that going for us.

I am technically an adult, yes. 22 years old, but I haven't had a job in quite some time I'm embarrassed to say, and I also can't drive. I'm probably depressed, but I've never told anyone about it (except for you & whoever else reads this).

I didn't even know my mother even had a doctor she knew until maybe 3 weeks ago (and her doctor's been with her for 20+ years apparently), so it's probably safe to say that I do not personally have any sort of relationship with my mom's doctor.

Things are getting a little bit better I think, especially today, but now with the threat of bills we can't pay (we just got another 8k bill from the hospital today too, so that kind of soured today's happy mood I got from watching mom climb those stairs) it's making me worried how we'll even get out of this financial problem when we're still dealing with her health ones.

We're ordering some magnesium today too for mom to take-- the doctor didn't prescribe it but things are moving along so slowly and I really hate just sitting and waiting for them to tell/give us what we need, which I find us doing more often than not, that I can't help but try and do what I can for mom on my own. We'll start as small as we can with doses in case she doesn't need them, but considering her history of alcohol abuse, I don't think we should have too much to worry about. I mean, the entire situation right now is why we're even getting them in the first place anyway...
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (04-01-2021)