View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 04:00 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hey SoulfulYin,

I've read this thread this morning and and am hugely impressed by how thoughtful and caring you are.

My background is also alcohol induced peripheral neuropathy. My PN too peaked after I had stopped drinking, maybe 2 months afterwards, but things slowly began to get better. I don't understand this mechanism, but wonder if the liver in detoxifying releases neurotoxins into the blood.

Here are some thoughts

Your mum seems to lack motivation. This is understandable. Are you familiar with the neuromodulator/transmitter dopamine? Dopamine release in the brain is triggered when you engage in activities you find pleasurable. It's a kind of reward system. Alcohol causes an addictive imbalance of dopamine release through drinking. It overloads the system and reduces dopamine receptor sensitivity. Alcohol itself becomes the reward. At the peak of my drinking I used to wake up and drink supermarket whisky.

When you stop drinking the lack of dopamine can lead to a sense of hopelessness and and emptyness. This combined with the additional time for reflection that sobriety inevitably allows can lead to reduced motivation and the fear that things will get worse, not better.

I wonder if overnight TV has replaced alcohol for your mum.

I know it sounds odd, but peripheral neuropathy and the pain associated can be a great motivator. The desire to get better and to see progress can be its own reward. I know it did for me. And improvement, believe me, reduction in symptoms is an absolute joy.

The Glymphatic System

The Glymphatic System is like the peripheral lymphatic system and clears waste products from the brain and CNS. Waste products accumulate in the brain extracellular space. Clearance is primarily achieved through sleep. When my symptoms peaked about a year ago during 1st lockdown I found I would sleep for hours and hours. I just wonder if overnight TV is the worst thing your mum could do. Other ways to boost glymphatic clearance is exercise and forward motion. I appreciate this is difficult but can you get your mum to walk outside and increase her walks over time? Don't underestimate the healing properties of sunlight and fresh air.

Brain detox, liver detox foods/beverages

Coffee but only in the mornings.

Decaffeinated green tea. This is packed with anti oxidants. I say decaff because this is the go to drink and sleep is very important. Available from supermarkets.

Hibiscus tea. Not cheap but loaded with anti oxidants

Pomegranate juice. Pure organic. Again not cheap, but this is a fantastic all round drink and a great prebiotic. When I stopped drinking I craved carbs. This drink is very sweet. But only have a small glass a day.

Walnuts other nuts

Sardines, tinned is ok. Omega 3 is anti inflammatory. Consider a fish oil supplement but one that is guaranteed mercury/metal free.

Flaxseed and Chia seed. You need to grind these and introduce in small doses given your mother's gastric bypass. Again loaded with omega 3.

The ORAC unit (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) shows that berries are up there with the highest anti oxidant function, and blueberries are the king of berries.

An oat porridge with added milled seeds and nuts and berries would be a great way to start the day.

I would also consider taking an Alpha Lipoic acid supplement, but again its not cheap.

Best wishes,

Atty.
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote