View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 08:31 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default New member story nerve pain and numbness

Hello, my first post here. I am a 67 year old male, retired now after a very busy career, married happily, with three kids and four grandkids, all of whom live at quite a distance. I've been basically healthy all of my life, other than a valve problem which is being monitored for an eventual valve replacement.

About 8 months ago, I developed numbness on the toes of one foot, after having had pain for several years in one of those toes. Podiatrists did a couple of procedures to try to relieve the pain, but nothing worked. Then numbness set in. I didn't think it was too big of a deal. Then, after a routine medical test, I developed an infection and was given cipro to counteract it. The cipro knocked out the infection but within days, I noticed that my other foot had gone numb, too, and soon, the typical prickling, burning, crawling sensations of neuropathy started in both of my legs. Over time, that has continued. Now, both legs are superficially numb, right up to my waist, and it is especially so in my inner thighs. Meanwhile, intermittent prickling,burning, throbbing continue.

I also have noted a strange discomfort around by left trunk area, near the heart, front and back, and I have an altered sense of smell. It's not that I can't smell, but I have intermittent sensations of smells that are inaccurate, just not there (so says my wife!). I also seem to have burning eyes, especially when I work on the computer for any length of time. Not sure any of this is related ot the symptoms above.

So a lot of things going on and they are disruptive to my sleep, my mental health, etc. Positively, I do not seem to have any mobility issues, I can walk, ski, do aerobic stuff, lift weights, etc.

I have been to Mayo Rochester MN several times now and have had intensive testing done. All basically normal, other than one autonomic reflex screen that must be redone--but I don't think that is the source of my problems. The neurologist says, "treat the symptoms," but gabapentin doesn't seem to do any good and may be contributing to the sensations I have in my eyes.

I have been spending a lot of time trying to figure this out and get better. i have a lot to live for. So far, not very successful. I have researched all kinds of mind/body stuff and am trying out somatic tracking, journaling, etc. using the curable app.

My worry is that this will just keep progressing and I will make everyone around me miserable with my complaining and anxiety.

What am I asking for? I guess, advice, if anyone has some. And also, anyone who has had similar symptoms but has experienced improvement, slowly or quickly, through whatever means--I am desperate enough to want to learn whatever I can and motivated to get better. Thanks for listening and blessings on this day.
NRivers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote