View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 02:01 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyt View Post
After having many blood tests all showing normal my Neurologist has got me to get an MRI of brain and spine. This is to rule out MS. I’m having this done in a couple of weeks and visit to Neurologist May 20. He is confident that I have not got MS but also says that important to rule it out as part of my ongoing dealing with my sensory neuropathy it’s crucial to stop looking for cause if none has been identified. The brain works in mysterious ways and if I focus too much on my condition it seems to exacerbate the neuropathy. I have noticed that when I am otherwise occupied I do not seems to notice it. The only aspect of it is that when I do heavy exercise my legs feel very heavy. So for the time being I am going to focus on the other parts of my life and meditation. If after my MRI I find out it is not MS I will get on with my life. If it is MS then I’ll deal with that then.
Appreciate any thoughts. In case you have not read my earlier stuff, I have neuropathy in my feet which has not progressed in 6 months. But I have sensory neuropathy which started 6 months ago and progressed to most of my body.
Hey Susyt,

What strikes me is at 74 you can do "heavy exercise" I don't think many 74 year olds exercise at all or are capable of exercising.

I think its a good idea to have an MRI scan of your brain and spine. I've had them and both negative. The chances of late onset MS for you are negligible given your lack of symptoms.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with respect to your attitude to your symptoms

"I have noticed that when I am otherwise occupied I do not seem to notice it."

If you were able to adopt the attitude that your symptoms were trivial and were dismissive of them, if you chose to ignore them wherever possible and just get on with your life, you could, in a way, set yourself free.

Too often, and I don't mean you at all, people become so preoccupied with their condition that it becomes part of their identity. They become experts in whatever they suffer with and it engulfs them. It takes over their lives.
I appreciate that some people's conditions give them no choice. You only have to read desperate heartbreaking stories on this site. But for many people we have a choice.

To quote John Milton

"The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."

Anyways, thanks for the update. I hope you will let us know how you get on.

Take care and best wishes,

Atty
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote