View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 11:32 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Quick update on our situation

Mom's left leg got pretty swollen today. This was some hours after the call from one of mom's doctor's nurses that her lab results were normal, or so my mom said. It was after my grandma brought some deep fried chicken and spaghetti. Mom had maybe 1 piece, or most of it.

Then, maybe no longer than an hour later, her left leg bloated. She drank some water and took a short little walk, it went down a little. We didn't want to give her too much water, since she's technically still on a fluid restriction, which we didn't think she needed anymore since her results are normal. But we have not gone over her limit. Maybe no more than a single ounce more, at worst. But it's still swollen, maybe 2-3 hours max since it bloated. I'm thinking maybe it's related to her blood sugar. I'm no doctor, though, so I don't know. We called my aunt, and my grandma. Aunt doesn't know, but she does deal w/ edema too and sometimes her legs bloat. Idk if it's only one sometimes. Grandma doesn't think it could be due to just 1 piece of fried chicken. But at the same time she says not to worry. Now, as her son you might be able to tell why that's a little hard to do.

About the clinic calls. They don't respond past 8/8:30. Idk if it's just for Fridays or what. But our only option, really, is to just go to the ER and see what's going on. Mom's experiencing literally no pain, no chest pain, no short breath, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. But her memory issues persist still, and I think maybe they got a little worse tonight since this happened, maybe sometime before. But Grandma says not to worry, Mom wants me not to worry, I think we should go to the ER, but it's hard. I can't drive, and neither can she on account of both her neuropathy and her memory problems, and now this. Ambulance rides are expensive, and already we're dealing w/ money issues. Doctor is going to call tomorrow. I just, really really hope we can afford to wait.

So many variables. So many nebulous possibilities. I can't take this. I'm really sorry to vent like this, and on an issue most likely not even related to her neuropathy (which idk if it's against the rules or anything, I'm sorry if it is though). Some medications also apparently can cause swelling. Amlodipine, and Gabapentin both can. One of her medications also react to potassium too, apparently. Idk if fried chicken has it, but apparently potassium is related to sodium, or something like that. Maybe it's another form of it. She's been on both for a while now. Idk if it'd get this bad, though. Or how long it'd take to go back down. I mean it did a little bit after some water and walking. Maybe it's just her blood sugar. She is prediabetic, technically. 116 glucose levels, Idk if I mentioned that before. But maybe that's what happens when you're dealing w/ neuropathy then just eat fried chicken.

I just checked the swollenness again just now. It's noticeably less swollen. Which is a relief. But still...if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them significantly. We're not out of the woods just yet, I think.
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote