View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 02:13 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
Hey SoulfulYin,

I think Lara is right here and its the high salt content of fried chicken that has caused the problem and it's your mum's physical inactivity that has made her vulnerable to this. To avoid a further episode consider the following.

So get her moving or even simple leg elevation for a few minutes at a time may help.

Avoid salt.

Avoid processed foods that are high in salt.

Avoid processed/refined carbs, they encourage sodium/water retention.

Drink water. I appreciate she has restrictions

I think from memory you have a magnesium supplement, that's good to take

Potassium rich foods such as avocado and sweet potatoes and green leafy vegetables and tomatoes and bananas help reduce sodium levels.

Does she take B6 in a B multivit? That helps too, but not too much.

Dandelion tea is a natural diuretic.

Hope this helps.

Take care SoulfulYin.
I hope your mum appreciates all that you do for her.

Atty
I know earlier I said that would be my last post for the night, but I can't leave someone who's giving me useful advice hanging.

Can do. Starting tomorrow, I'll be making sure she walks for maybe 5-10 minutes, or as long as her legs will allow her to.

Avoiding salt like the plague, effective immediately.

We're going to make a list of things that are confirmed to not be processed and/or high in salt, and we'll try and make meals using that list.

Definitely avoiding processed/refined carbs, and probably just carbs in general.

She DOES have a restriction, but it's very likely we'll get it lifted by the end of tomorrow, on account of the nurse who called yesterday saying her lab results were all normal. She might be okay to drink water at a normal rate now. Additionally, is sparkling sugar-free water okay? It's La Croix, Pure Sparkling Water. Nutrition facts says it has 0 Total Fat, 0 Sodium, 0 Total Carbs and no sweeteners. She's been drinking that or regular water, with sliced up fruits/veggies sprinkled in there too.

I was on the impression we should avoid potassium since her amlodipine besylate seems to raise those levels. Maybe we should just be a little more careful with them, is the idea. Either way, we'll be careful! We have oranges, tropicana orange juice (which another diabetic friend also drinks and recommended).

She does not take B6, i do not know her levels so I was worried about giving her supplements when she didn't need them. Same with magnesium-- I'm afraid they both will exacerbate her neuropathy problems.

She has decaffeinated honey lemon chamomile green tea, we'll see about getting some dandelion tea too.

I hope so too. I'm sure it will-- at least a little. And I'm forever going to be grateful for you and everyone else's help in this endeavor. Thank you, truly.

She does, she appreciated all the nothing I did for her even before I started caring for her. I'm not proud to say it, I wasn't the best son. Kinda still far from that title, especially considering I let her eat that chicken. But my mom loved and still loves me like I am, and now she needs me to be better so she can get healthy, so I'm trying. I'll do all I can, for as long as I can. And then when she's better, I'm gonna turn my life around. Work at Costco or something, make money, make her proud. The whole shebang.
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote