View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Quick update

So mom's been doing better, she's been more active (we've been walking about 6 minutes or so every hour starting from like 2-4PM and doing her exercises by 8-9PM to top it off, occasionally practicing the stairs). She was given a cane recently by one of the physical therapists that came to check on her a couple days ago-- she's been trying to use that more when we do our walks. She also places her walker a little further away from her bed so she has to get up and walk to it on her own when she moves around-- just little changes to be more active. Proud of our progress.

Still somewhat forgetful, but technically treatment for that (in the form of the B1 her doctor gave her at least, and the B12 i've been giving her) only started a little over a month ago. I think she's doing better on that front.

I just have a question-- what kind of Magnesium should I get her specifically? There's a couple different forms, and I'm a little nervous since too much magnesium can cause problems and I haven't been able to ask the doctor about it or anything yet. I know she probably does need at least a little on account of her having once been an alcoholic, but I don't know which kind to get her. I've been thinking about this Magnesium L-Threonate kind with Magtein or whatever the site's calling it to help her memory/overall brain function, but again I just don't know.

Edit(like 2 minutes later): I also forgot-- when mom did talk to her doctor and mentioned her leg swelling, she said it's likely mom doesn't have diabetes or even prediabetes, but did say if we wanted to find out for sure we could come over and get mom's A1C to find out what that is-- since that's different from blood glucose levels. Her leg does still do a little swelling, but it goes down a lot more when she's walking/exercising. Although I don't know if the doctor mentioned what actually was causing the swelling, since this is all just mom relaying what she remembers of her video chat, but she did say she's off the fluid restriction (which has also helped the swelling) and confirmed that all of her lab results were in fact normal. Mom's still avoiding salt, and is still drinking/eating sugar-free or low-salt free stuff. We're using the Dash seasonings whenever we make food for her to eat still. I actually tried some baked chicken with it-- not half bad!
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote