Thread: Stomach Hell
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 02:35 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hey Stevegee,

I have a history of acid reflux and these are proven strategies that will help you.

1. Eating.

Try and have your biggest meal at the beginning of the day and your smallest meal at the end of the day. Try and eat your last meal at least 3 hours, ideally 4 hours before you go to bed. My problem was that I ate too much in the evenings.

Eat slowly. Chew your food thoroughly. Ideally you want to make your food a liquid before you swallow.

Typical foods and drinks to avoid are fatty foods, spicy foods, tomatoes, onions, garlic, coffee, tea, chocolate, and alcohol. You can work out for yourself which foods and drinks you need to eliminate. Don't drink carbonated drinks.

2. Gravity

Sit up when you eat and after your eat. An easy stroll after eating is advised. But, of course, avoid vigorous exercise. Don't slump in front of the TV while eating or after eating as that allows acid to creep in to the esophagus.

3. Sleeping

I bought a triangular shaped foam wedge pillow to raise my head above my stomach, again to make gravity your friend. You can arrange ordinary pillows to achieve the same thing. I've read people put bricks under their bed as an alternative strategy but that's quite tricky in reality.

4. Bicarbonate of soda.

A teaspoon of this in a small glass of water. Rinse you mouth and gargle with this to protect your throat and teeth whenever you need to. But don't swallow it. Have full fat milk in your fridge at all times. For an emergency, if and when you feel overwhelmed by acid reflux, nothing beats this.

Best wishes,

Atty
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
davOD (04-17-2021)