View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 04:09 PM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default How much should you rest after a setback?

My initial concussion which triggered my PCS was in August of 2018. Until two days ago, I had not had any "setbacks" or major events that triggered symptoms since October of 2019. So I had been mostly symptom free and improving every day for a year and a half.

Then, two days ago, it was a beautiful day so I decided to go on a bike ride on a trail that I rode many times last summer. Unfortunately, there had been some recent construction on the trail, and it was torn up by construction vehicle tire tracks which had hardened in the mud. I did not realize this until I made it some way into the trail. I decided to tough it out, as I have a full-suspension mountain bike and I rode several fairly bumpy trails last summer with no issues.

I ended up spending 30+ minutes grinding across the hardened tire tracks, sustaining nearly continuous vibrations that my bike's shocks failed to fully absorb. Eventually I got off my bike and walked with it most of the way back to my car.

The rest of the day I felt a little off but mostly okay. Yesterday I felt a little off, but went on my usual jog and had no headache afterwards. Today I have felt worse. Symptoms are slightly blurry vision, slight light sensitivity, fatigue, brain fog, depression, and a general malaise feeling that seems to intensify the more I wonder about whether that bike ride did any physical damage to my brain.

My question is, under these circumstances, how much should I rest? My symptoms are vague and I cannot nail down whether they are concussion symptoms or the result of general anxiety/stress. When in doubt, what should I do? I have tried doing nothing today, aside from some video games and a short walk, but I seem to feel worse because I'm sitting around worrying about how much I should rest!

I am a student and luckily I have a light week ahead of me, but starting next week I am moving into a final exam period which will last several weeks and will be very intense. Sticking to my routine is crucial to my managing of stress and general depression/anxiety that I have apart from PCS.

So, does it sound like I had another concussion and should I fully rest as much as possible or should I push through and stick to my routine (which includes coffee, ice cold showers every morning, jogging every other day, other light exercise whenever I can fit it in, and studying/reading/writing 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week)?
Alaska89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote