View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 09:50 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Super Stressful Update

Another update for today, I finally gave mom her first pill of magnesium. I was really worried to give her any, because we didn't know if she was okay to take magnesium or not. But we started today.

Then an hour or so later her leg seemed to swell up, and I was worried I messed up or something. And then she wanted to eat a frozen pizza, and thought by eating a banana she could offset any problems that arose from it. I thought "maybe it's okay" before when she mentioned it, but when her leg started swelling I said absolutely not. So we had an argument about that, but she had a salad instead eventually. We didn't throw out the pizza, but I really don't think she should have it at all anyway, even though it's turned out she's not diabetic or even prediabetic, her doctor said I think.

And then I also remembered she probably shouldn't even eat too much of foods like bananas, because her lisinopril already causes high potassium. And we don't need more issues on top of everything else.

Today has been incredibly stressful, and both me and mom almost broke down completely, for reasons more than just above. But we're persevering. Or trying to, at least. We're running into financial problems, and trying to fix it by getting mom to go back to work, at least part-time, to make more money. 60% of her pay just isn't gonna cut it for even rent alone. I'm sure she can do it. Even if her memory problems are still here, they're probably not bad enough to make work anything more than a little more difficult than usual. Plus, it'd be good for her. To be able to take her mind off of things, talk to her old coworkers and just...get some semblance of her old life back, y'know? For the entire 2 months we've been going through this, it's just been me, and my mom. Sometimes a relative will stop by, and for almost 2 weeks my aunt came to help us. But other than that, it's just been us. Work will be good for her, I think. I've also heard an active mind can help recovery, too. Just like an active body can help speed up the recovery process.

On that topic, it really has come to my attention how much we've slacked on that front. Mom walked today, but that was it. And right after I promised myself I would get up in the mornings to help. But all morning has been stressful for mom. Shoot, all day really. Way into the night, she's been stressed or in tears. I wanted to wait a little before we exercised for her to be okay, but that time never came. We can't slack on exercise though, especially not now. We haven't even gone up the stairs since PT last came, which I think was Friday. We need to make going up and down stairs a normal thing for mom. That's really good exercise for her.

Doesn't help that she thinks she should just not exercise after PT is done. She made it seem like she didn't even need to exercise, that it wasn't necessary, after PT. But then tonight she used the walker for 6 mins of her 8-minute walk. I wish she would just see that it helps and go through with it sometimes. So much resistance when we both want the same thing for her.

If life wants us to fight for our lives back, then I guess that's what we gotta do. So fight we shall. We're striving for only good things from here on out!
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (04-28-2021)