View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 03:40 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Significantly less stressed midnight update!

I went browsing some more on this sight, and again comes Icehouse to the rescue with his personal experiences.

I saw he apparently had liver cirrhosis, and I'm starting to think maybe that's what my mom has. It'd explain the swelling, at least. But to hear that even cirrhosis can be managed, it fills me with that same hope for the future that I've been dreading for days now.

Either way, tomorrow morning (or technically today, since it's 3:30 AM almost ) marks a brand new day. Mom is going to try going back to work. Not on that day, but she's going to discuss her hours with her boss either that day or the next. Both her and I are a little worried her memory problems will make work difficult, but I'm at least a little confident that won't be permanent, at least as it is right now. I feel like it'll be some time before she's back to herself, but I also feel like the activities will help her a lot in that regard. I'm pretty certain I mentioned it in my previous post mere hours ago, but I have heard that an active mind can help with the recovery process. And as an...accountant? I don't know what kinda job mom has specifically, but she works with numbers a lot. Whatever job she has, I'm sure it'll help her get her mind back to being active again. And she'll be with her people. She'll have something to do other than just sitting at home and either being asleep or feeling miserable, y'know?

On the topic of her memory problems, I wonder if her doctor should have just gotten her a B complex supplement instead of just B1. She's been getting B1 and B12 (though I think only 100mg of B1, which I thiiiink isn't a lot?), but not B6 or any other B vitamin. But maybe she needs the other ones too, y'know? Either way, she has shown improvement. She's still forgetful, but now it's just down to reminding her of things and then she immediately remembers everything that comes with that little reminder, or her forgetting what day it is, which I'm mostly chalking up to her not really having anything to do most of the day. I know I forget what day it is, though not as frequently as mom does sometimes, and I kind of don't do anything outside of taking care of her right now. But even before that, I didn't really do much. I was a NEET before this-- technically still am, just my 'job' now is being an unpaid caretaker for my mom.

We're going to start walking more and exercising more, and I mean it this time. I know she doesn't want to, but it can only do good for her. Keeping both her mind and body active will do wonders. We're going to have some greens with some...turkey, I think it is? IDK what the meat is, but it's reddish on the inside and is like a big ol' drumstick. Anyways, we're having that for dinner later today, since it's technically morning right now. It's good for her supposedly, outside of the sodium from the meat. But I think if we just keep active, eat healthy and stay away from alcohol (almost 3 months sober so far for mum, she hasn't even thought about alcohol once since this whole thing started), in time all things will resolve themselves as I've seen Icehouse say in a few of his posts...wish us luck. I'll keep you guys updated as things happen, maybe if things go swell I'll be able to tell you when I get my first job after mom's recovered enough!

(5 AM edit) I am also considering getting mum a Doctor's Best Benfotiamine instead of using the doctor-prescribed thaimine my mom's been on for the past near 2 months now. I also don't even think my mom takes a lot of thiamine right now-- just 1 tablet a day, I think it's 50 or 100mg, even though she was an alcoholic of around 15 years. From what I've seen, that doesn't appear to be enough, but I also am worried about giving her too much. Any suggestions?

Last edited by SoulfulYin; 04-28-2021 at 05:21 AM.
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote