View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 07:47 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Still riding on that second wind

Another quick update today: me and mom walked outside for the first time. it was a very short one, we went up the stairs and just out to the parking lot. she wanted to walk halfway, I said okay, then she met me at the recycling bins nearly the entire parking lot's length away. I was so proud of her. The littlest things really do keep me going. I say littlest, but this feels so big. We're excited about walking around the block eventually, too.

She's decided she'll call her boss tomorrow instead to discuss her hours, but she is still thinking about full-time. She's even deciding that maybe she should go into work maybe once a week. She'd carpool with her brother, and there'd be coworkers (who she's really good friends with) that'd keep an eye out for her too. I know she'd be in good hands. And on the topic of work, we can for sure pay this month's rent. Her job paid her for the 2 weeks they missed back in march today. Talk about a lucky break!

Her memory has been steadily improving, too. Long-term had only suffered slightly-- it was mostly short-term memory that she struggled with. But she's been doing better in both regards since that dreadful day on the 2nd of February, almost significantly so in terms of her short-term memory. I trust she'll do well at work, and I won't have much to worry about when she goes in-- she'll be there for maybe 4 hours max, way before she needs to take her gabapentin again. She's excited to go see friends and family again too-- and so am I. I can relax being home alone for once, knowing my mom is safe, happy and in good hands. She's not going to have a lick of alcohol ever again too, she promised me after I asked her not to have any if she went out with her friends, who do drink sometimes. I trust her.

Our tuxedo cat Puddy passed away 2 days ago, I forgot to mention. I didn't want to at the time, because it was just such a depressing time for me and mom. I feel like it was a little too soon, but she was old, sickly and frail. The part that bites the most is she died under my grandma's watch, and not in the comfort of her home, here. I really don't want to point fingers, because I know my grandma meant well (even if she lied to us about taking her to the vet) and she's just as sad as we are, I just...I wish she would've been a little more responsible.

Me, my mom and 2 of my cousins who loved Puddy dearly are going to make a collage in her memory. Something to pin on the walls of each of our rooms. I placed her empty food bowl in her little cat tower hide-a-hole that she used to sleep in all the time. I have fond memories of the cat. I know most of her years with us were happy and full of love, even if I haven't been the best owner for her, especially this year.

I almost forgot to mention mom's swollen leg, too-- when I looked at it today, it looked and felt SOOOOO much better. It wasn't as thin as it used to be before this started happening, but there's no doubt about it-- that compression sock really, really helped. And she only had it on for an hour before bed last night. We're going to put it on her now for at least an hour a day until her leg returns to normal, and hopefully the walking and healthier diet will help keep it normal afterwards. And when I say better, I do mean it. It was a lot softer when I squeezed, didn't even really look swollen, and it wasn't shining anymore. All of the markers that normally said swollen leg were either gone or going.

Truly, a very very good day today. And we will keep fighting to keep it this way.

Countless thanks for those here who helped me when I needed it...really couldn't have gotten here without you. Without this entire forum. The past near 3 months have been the worst of my life so far. Several times I wondered if we'd even make it out alive. Now I think it's silly to have had such thoughts.

We got our 2nd chance at life. And I'm not going to waste it sitting on the computer all day anymore. I'll be sure to let you guys know when mom starts her first day back at work. And again when I start mine. Shoot, I might even start doing what Icehouse does, and just check in with everyone on a monthly basis. It's the least I could do after all the help I've gotten from here. Much love to you guys. Hope your days are even better than ours.
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (04-30-2021), Lara (05-14-2021)