View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepack View Post
As for your question 1, I have had sunburning come and go but have associated this with lack of exercise. Alcohol consumption can also cause symptoms to become worse. For question 3, the slight numbing in my legs has caused me not to feel hot and cold, I have no pain with hot or cold, I just cant feel it. For question 4, I have no tendonitis or carpal tunnel. I have no information to share on questions 2 and 5. I do have maralgia paresthetica which pain is eliminated by Gabapentin. My doctor said that this was do to rapid weight gain rather than tight clothing. And for me it made sense. When I learned that I had SFN I was terrified and lossed 30lbs (from 180lb to 150lb) due to stress, but as the stress eased I returned to my normal wight quickly which caused the maralgia paresthetica. For me symptoms have increased slowly over the last 7 years. Hope this helps
It's interesting that you mentioned the lack of exercise affecting the burning pain. Initially, when I first started getting the burning pain in my legs, I was actively going to the gym 3 times a week and had lost about 30 lbs. I eventually stopped because of my plantar fascitis was too painful for me to continue (I have regained all that weight and then some). Wrt alcohol usage...that doesn't apply to me (haven't had a drink in almost 20 years; but good to know anyhow).

As for the hot / cold, thank you for answering that. This past year has been odd for me, in terms of temperature. Normally, I am colder than everyone else around me, which is why I hate winter so much because I really don't tolerate it well. But this year, during the winter, the cold didn't have near as much of an affect on me as it normally does. But it's definitely not that I don't feel it at all, as in your situation.

Wrt the maralgia parasthetica... from what was explained to me is that it is typically seen in people who wear really tight utility-type belts (i.e. military personnel; police; etc) and that usually it resolves after a few months with PT and sometimes with meds. For me, this has been going on for years and PT hasn't helped. I also find it odd that, while I am overweight, it began initially after losing weight and it really only affects me at nighttime. And the xray I had done, the doctor said it didn't really show significant narrowing (but I do have an MRI scheduled for later this month, just in case). So we'll see, I guess.

I know I read somewhere that, since your nerves are in every part of your body, people with SFN can experience a variety of symptoms. That's why I was asking about the migraines, tendonitis, and plantar fascitis.... was just curious if any of those things might tie into this. (I do have chronic migraines...approximately 2 a week; and I get frequent tendonitis in my wrists and lately I've been getting numbness in my left hand).

I'm glad you have found some pain relief. I hope eventually, I can say the same for myself. Thank you so much for replying (and again, sorry for the long post, lol).
Dannibal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote