Thread: Migraines
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 04:40 PM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member
Default Migraines

I joined NeuroTalk for issues related to nerve pain in my leg. But since I also suffer from chronic migraines, figured I'd post here also.

I have had chronic migraines for years. They take on two forms:

1. Severe pain on one side (usually above one of my eyes); light and noise sensitivity; nausea (sometimes vomiting also). Essentially, I need to lay in a dark, quiet room and movement makes it hurt worse.

2. Same as above except that if I lay down, it hurts so much more. And whichever side I lie on (if I do lie down), the pain moves to that side (i.e. lay on my left side, headache is now on the left side; roll over to my right side, headache is now on the right side). Instead, I have to pace back and forth in a dark, quiet room, for hours, until it goes away. Luckily, this type isn't super common for me...once in a while I get these.

I'm allergic to triptans and I'm not supposed to take ibuprofen or aspirin (due to GI issues). I was getting botox injections once every 3 months, but after 2 years of that, I just couldn't handle them anymore (they hurt so much; I would have anxiety attacks, and during the procedure, I would get lightheaded and nauseous and break out in a cold sweat...surprised I didn't faint, tbh).

Recently, I was switched to Emgality, which seems to work about as well as the botox. Which means I still get about 2 migraines a week (I just had a pretty hellacious one today). I used to take Fioricet when I got migraines but insurance stopped covering that. Now I have Ubrelvy...and so far, every time I've taken Ubrelvy, it really hasn't helped. I took two today (one at the start and another a few hours later), and even then, it wasn't until 5 hours later that I could get up and start moving around. I still have the remnants of the migraine (still light / noise sensitive; the pain is about 90% gone though).

I am disappointed; was really hoping the Ubrelvy would work.

Edit to add my list of migraine triggers:
Dehydration
Missing a meal
Bright lights
Flashing lights (this includes sunlight flickering through trees when driving)
Fluorescent lights
Chocolate (in excess; dark chocolate especially)
Certain pitches / tones / alarms (Idk how to explain that one)
Stress
Strong smells (perfumes, colognes, lotions, citrus, etc)
Dannibal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote