View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 01:54 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannibal View Post
I'm new here (I did post an introduction in the New Members area) and I'm hoping I can get some answers from others with small fiber polyneuropathy.

I haven't been diagnosed with SFN (yet), but from what I've read, it certainly sounds like what might be going on with me.

So...quick rundown of what my experience has been....

- About 8 yrs ago, I had burning pain in my ankle; I thought maybe it was gout but test came back negative. Eventually it subsided on its own.

- About 6-7 years ago, I woke up one night with excruciating burning pain in my thigh (literally, jumped out of bed screaming). Went to the ER, was told it was a pinched nerve; I didn't have health insurance then, so I couldn't get a follow-up.

- About this same time, I also began having issues with fainting if I laugh / cough too much. (I've since had a tilt table test).

- I have since seen 2 neurologists and have had two negative EMGs. I was diagnosed with "maralgia paresthetica" despite the fact that I don't wear tight clothing; the pain is at its worst at night; and physical therapy did not help. I was prescribed Gabapentin but I had a bad reaction.

- Recently, saw a pain management doc; she did an xray but didn't see significant narrowing. She gave me prednisone & flexiril, and referred me for an MRI. I finished the prednisone this past weekend; it didn't help at all with the pain (neither has the flexiril). My MRI is later this month. She did say that, depending on how the meds work, she might refer me to Rheumotology as she thinks it's an autoimmune disorder. My follow-up isn't until 27 May (can't get here quick enough).

Which led me to googling and that such led me here.

So... the questions I have, for those with SFN, are these:

1. If you have the burning pain in one area, can it go away and not reappear there? I'm wondering if the ankle pain I had initially is part of the leg pain I have now? I haven't had the burning in my ankle in years.

2. Does anyone know if chronic migraines are associated with SFN? (Just thought I'd ask).

3. I've read that people with SFN can be really sensitive to hot / cold, but what I've read doesn't go into how that sensitivity manifests, so I'm wondering how does it present itself? Is it that it just makes the pain worse / more frequent?

4. Is frequent tendonitis and / or carpal tunnel syndrome also associated with SFN?

5. Is it possible for someone to be diagnosed with plantar fascitis and it actually be SFN? (I ask because I have been diagnosed with plantar fascitis, but physical therapy has never helped...and now I'm wondering if my foot pain could be tied into this other issue?)

Sorry for the really long post; thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to read & respond.
Hey Dannibal,

My reply to question 5.

I have a history of Plantar Fasciitis (PF)and it predates my Peripheral Neuropathy. (PN) I think they are separate entities, however PN makes one more sensitive to things like PF My understanding of my own PF is that it is due to an unstable foot caused by tightness elsewhere in the body notably tight calves and Achilles tendon but tightness throughout the body including hips and back.
I was a "county standard" runner ( a vainglorious term meaning not very good) and the way I stabilized my foot was with an arch support. I have a collapsed high arch and am an over pronator ( foot rotates out to in) I have worn arch supports in all my shoes for thirty years with minimal PF symptoms.

When I developed PN my first symptoms were tingling/numbness in my toes. Suddenly one day in January 2020 my right ankle pretty much collapsed after an unexpected long walk with inappropriate shoes and my gait changed dramatically. I bought an ankle brace and had to wear it for several weeks just to walk. This is how I discovered I had PN. Ankles are vulnerable for those with PN. I would say to anyone with PN, look after your feet. Keep them warm. Wear good shoes. I never used to wear slippers but I managed to find a fur lined sole insert with an arch support from Amazon. Heaven.

I will write further on your other questions when I have time but an swamped at work currently.

Best wishes,

Atty
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote