View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 06:07 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

It's been a couple weeks, so I figured I'd drop by and talk about what's been goin on!

Mom's memory is still a bit of an issue, and it shows the most when she's working. She talks about how she sometimes gets sidetracked (with her coworkers or otherwise) then forgets what she was doing originally. Sometimes it causes her to be behind on her work. I'm trying to find ways to help her get around that while her memory recovers. I thought about her setting an alarm and naming it after whatever duty she has for that day and just having it go off ever 30-60 minutes to help her stay on-track. At least until she doesn't need it anymore. Y'know, a little bit of brain training. That, and I'm also thinking of just getting her some B Complex. She's getting B1 and B12, but not B6 or any other type of B vitamin, if there are others. I'm just worried if she takes B1 and B Complex that it'll be an issue.

Her memory issues, on the topic of it, has mostly been reduced to sometimes being unable to remember what she was doing originally if caught on a particular task for a while, even if it's related to her original task. If she were able to set alarms for all the things she needed to do or could focus on one task until it was completely done at a time, her memory problems wouldn't exist, likely. Well, there is also still the occasional forgetting how an event happened, but knowing it did happen. Other than that, though, she's been pretty good.

That, too. She has trouble focusing, more than I think she did before. It probably is due to the new kitten we just got. I didn't agree with getting another kitten, especially so soon after the passing of Puddy, among many other reasons not to get a kitten right now. But the kitten helps keep her happy, so I guess it can't be too bad.

Mom's neuropathy is still present (of course-- didn't expect something that takes years to get under control to leave within 3 months), but she's been recovering very well. The stairs aren't so difficult for her anymore-- we walk outside 3-5 times a week, and very rarely we play Ring Fit Adventure. She sits down for it, and I don't push her to go any further than she feels comfortable to. She's been talking about still getting tingling sensations and sometimes feelings of tightness, but I think that won't be gone or significantly less frequent until the end of the year, at least.

On the topic of her neuropathy, I'm wondering how long it'll be before we can wean her off of gabapentin. Gabapentin seems to bring with it more problems than it's really worth. I see some of its side effects include causing mood swings and even forgetfulness-- which I feel is attributing at least slightly to mom's current memory issues. I'm not doctor, though. I just feel like as soon as we're able to get her off of gabapentin, things will be muuuuch better for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I'm very sorry to read about your Puddy. That's really sad.

I hope your Mum has been improving and that you're both doing well.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I'd been a little sidetracked.
Thank you. Puddy's passing hit mom really, really hard. She fell into a really bad slump for a few days, even. And the gabapentin's side effects definitely did not help with her mood.

Other than that, I feel she's been improving gradually as always. Some days it's harder to see it, and others it feels clear as day.

That's quite alright, we all have our own lives to live. I'm glad to hear from you again, though!
SoulfulYin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (06-03-2021)