View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am not a doctor, but it sounds to me like your father may have gotten reflex xympathetic dystrophy in the area of the dermatological reaction. If this is what it is, it needs serious pain treatment. Several things come to mind. (I assisted my parents in their last 12 years.) One is, it sounds like his doctor has not aggressively investigated the problem, and the fact that he never referred him to a doctor who specializes in pain treatment is really terrible. I don't know if this is the case, or how old your father is, but a lot of doctors don't treat older people as aggressively as they do younger ones, and don't take their complaints as seriously. Also, some men don't really report to their doctors the severity of what they are going through, so the doctor may not realize how incapacitated he is by pain. I found that I really had to take my parents to the doctor and go in with them for the exam. I was always amazed at how they told the doctor that everything was "fine", when I knew that it was not! Also, I was better able to explain things to the doctor, persist in asking for referrals or more treatment, and in remembering what the doctor said. Maybe the doctor told him more information about the swelling, but your father didn't understand it or report it to you. Going with a parent really helps. I know you don't live in the same state, but maybe you could go for a week's visit and schedule a couple of appointments that week. Or maybe it is time for your Dad to move near you? Lots of life changes going on, it sounds like. That is always so hard -- for both of you. Best wishes.
Dakota is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote