View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 12:12 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
I'm in a situation that my neuropathy gets so bad when alcohol free but as soon as I drink it masks it to a certain degree.

I absolutely know I have to quit but it's literally the only thing that takes the edge and numbness and pain.

I'm at a loss what to do.
Hey Emes,

I have a history of alcohol induced Peripheral Neuropathy. I understand totally the crazy logic of drinking to numb the pain when the drinking causes the pain. But you already know that it is crazy logic. If you had a friend in your position you wouldn't give that person alcohol. It would be unkind and you have to be kind to yourself.

For me I eventually worked out that I had to stop drinking. The drink to numb the pain thing turned out, for me at least, to be a self pitying lie. It was an excuse to drink. What I actually yearned for was the escapism that alcohol brought. It made me feel, all to briefly like my old self, the guy who didn't suffer from PN and I yearned to be that guy.

Alcohol is neurotoxic. I see it as a poison. The pain reminds me. You can use the pain you experience as a motivator to stop drinking. It only takes a small shift in attitude to do this. For me once I stopped drinking the pain got worse for a short time, but then it slowly got better. I cannot tell you enough about the joy of getting better. Focus everything on that. This forum can help you.

Best wishes,

Atty.
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote