View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 11:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My List of Neuropathy Balance Exercises

(This intro is repeated in each of my several exercise posts)

Dear PNers,

Out of immense gratitude for this forum, I wanted to give back and so ....

... below is a list of exercises I personally constructed from physio visits, personal doctors, learning from other sufferers, etc.

I find that memorizing and weaving into my life the habit of doing whichever of these feels right for my current level helps me stay a little stronger, improves circulation, improves dexterity, improves sensitivity, actually feels good and the moderate activity takes some of the edge off the uncomfortable buzzing.

Not a miracle cure but these offer a small improvement that adds to the whole picture.

This is a comprehensive list of things to choose from. Big suffers feel free to laugh out loud at even the mention of some of these. Just meet yourself wherever you are and pick out whatever helps you. Know when to take a break or go easy, particularly during bad flares.

May help to do when relaxed after hot bath, shower, when soaked feet/hands in warm water or put warm towel over.

Doing these while listening to health, comedy, go-getter podcasts or great music helps me to get into a groove and feel proud of my effort.

Best wishes.

----------------------------------------------------

My Personal List of Neuropathy Balance Exercises

(For advanced balancing try many of these with your eyes closed).

Tippy Toe – Walk on in straight line

Body Sway – Side to Side
With feet close together, sway body side to side; keep body straight and do not pick up feet or bend knees. Move as though you were a solid structure from ankles to top of head.

Body Sway – Backwards and Forwards
With feet close together, sway body forward and backward (onto balls of feet, then onto heels).

Body Sway – Cone
Imagine your body is cone shaped, with point of cone at your feet and round part at your head. Keeping feet still, see how perfectly round you can make the circle. Circle in both directions.

Challenging:
Twist Jumps
Starting from a standing position, jump in place and turn 90 degrees to land neatly without losing your balance. Increase the degree of turning to 180 degrees or 360 degrees without losing your balance on landing.

Standing on 1-2 Pillows / Cushion / Balance Board Disk

Stand on Cushion - Both Feet, Choose a number to count to

Stand on Cushion - Each Foot Alone, Choose a number to count to

Standing Alone or on 1-2 Pillows / Cushion / Balance Board Disk

Balance on One Leg
Raise one leg toward your chest while bending it at the knee. Do not bend at your waist.
Try holding for 30 seconds, then switch. Repeat 15 times with each leg.
Try balancing with your eyes closed.
Try reaching out for nearby objects while keeping your balance.
Can stand on cushion or floor.

Lateral Squats - Feet Far Apart, perhaps one on cushion or on floor, hands out in front, squat.
Change feet, repeat.

Squat Both Feet Together, Arms Out, Back Straight, As Low As Can Go
First maintain your balance. Then, flex your legs and hold your arms in front of you to find your balance.
Can try on cushion.

Dynamic Lunges
One foot behind you, perhaps one foot in front on cushion or on floor with knee bent, raise foot behind to knee in front of you like you are running, then put bent knee back in same place. Switch legs.

Quadricep Stretch
Shift your weight onto your left foot on either cushion or floor, keeping left knee slightly bent. Bend your right knee and pull your right heel toward your buttock, holding when you cannot bend your knee farther. Switch legs.

Hip Flexion

Flexing your hips involves bringing your knee toward your chest while standing on cushion or floor.
Switch legs.

Leg Swings
Swing the leg out behind your body, straightening your leg as much as possible. Bring your leg back in front of your body, bending your knee. Repeat this movement fluidly, completing up to 30 repetitions before switching legs. Can stand on cushion or floor.

Side Leg Raise
Raise one leg out to the side. Hold the pose for one second before slowly returning your foot to the floor. Repeat eight to 15 times, switching legs to achieve optimal balance. Can stand on cushion or floor.

Hamstring Pumps
Bend your knee as far as possible, bringing your foot up behind your buttocks. Pause for one second before slowly extending your knee, bringing your foot back to the ground. Do the exercise with the other leg. Repeat eight to 12 times, alternating legs. Can stand on cushion or floor.

Challenging:
Camel
Perhaps one foot on cushion or on floor, other foot slowly lift behind in straight line with back parallel to floor, one arm point forward straight to the floor or forward straight, other arm by side.
v5118lKftfk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (06-07-2021), Atticus (06-07-2021), tnthomas (06-06-2021)