View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 04:02 PM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Question New to the PN world

Hello from 1WelshGirl.

NOTE: I may have had past symptoms which I dismissed or were explained with other conditions. At this time, I don't have an official diagnosis but we know what it is not - diabetes, autoimmune, or MS - an MRI confirmed that. I have nerve conductivity tests scheduled, possibly more blood work after that.

For the last month, I've been experiencing bilateral peripheral neuropathy, especially in my feet. I feel like I'm walking on hot, desert sand all the time, my toes even feel like they have grit inside. They are progressively getting stiff, making walking a challenge mostly because bending creates more pain. Our fan and any light touch sends searing pain through my foot making it troublesome getting anything near my feet; now the carpet causes my pain. At night, they spasm with wicked, sharp, electric pain, which has me in tears and leaves me with little restful sleep. The balls of my feet feel hot and painful and I have numbing on top of my feet and up my legs. One leg is weaker than the other and without the gripping action of my toes, I now have a cane for balance.

I've been walking barefoot in my house up until now and have worn minimalist, barefoot shoes continually for 10+yrs. I'm now confronted with purchasing new shoes and socks.

If the socks get my feet hot, the pain index increases, any pressure, even lightly, the pain increases. If I've been on my feet for too long -which varies day to day- the pain and spasms at night reflects that. I'm in a quandary where to look or what to do regarding shoes and socks. All of the diabetic or neuropathy shoes have a thick sole and no proprioception, which doesn't help my balance issue or ability to feel the ground.

Does anyone have suggestions where to look for socks - moisture wicking, heavily padded, etc., and ones that aren't horribly expensive? I may have found some shoes that could work, starting at the sock level is first so I have a good base for my shoe size.

I'd appreciate any information and thank you!
1WelshGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote