View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 01:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi 1WelshGirl,

Welcome!

It sounds as if your neuropathy is making you very miserable. I hope that your doctors will be able to find some answers for you. Quite often the problem turns out to be a dietary deficiency (or overload) or some supplement or medicine a person is taking but they've probably checked into all of those possibilities with you.

You might find diabetic socks helpful. I wear them and they seem indestructible and comfortable. You can find them on Amazon.

I had to change my shoe preferences completely after having too much back pain and being told that improper shoes might be causing it. I had been wearing slippers indoors (Dearfoams or Isotoners) and canvas shoes AKA tennis shoes outdoors. They were cheap and lightweight and washable.

I had to give up on them and switch to diabetic shoes about 15 years ago but I'm glad I did even though the diabetic shoes aren't very attractive and, like you, I don't like the thick soles.

Every year when it's time to replace these shoes I try hard to find the lightest-weight shoes I can find. I comb through the catalog and even call the company and ask about the weight of their shoes, since it isn't usually given in the catalog description.

I shoot for a 7-oz. shoe but it's hard to find. Currently I'm settling for an 11-oz. shoe.

The weight of the shoe makes a huge difference in my balance.

MS diagnosed 1980. Type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, osteopenia.
Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Currently: Glatopa (generic Copaxone), 40mg 3 times/week, 12/16/20 - 3/16/24
agate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (06-27-2021)