View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 02:15 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hey tomhe204,

I did not have the knee pain you describe but I had full body shooting /stabbing pains and numbness in my hands and feet, arms and calves. Also Allodynia that is pain from non-painful stimuli. Some people with allodynia may experience severe pain even from a few hairs brushing against their skin. There are some forum members with this severity of allodynia Some people may feel a burning sensation while others feel an ache or squeezing pain. It sounds like you have some form of Allodynia. I also had hyper sensitivity to stretching or exercise. Also fasciculations or muscle twitches.

There were two major health events in my life. The first was when I was 28. I used to be a good club standard runner and used to regularly run 5K 10K 5m 10m 1/2 marathons. Then I was struck down by post viral fatigue syndrome that gave me a constant swollen painful aching neck glands, constant fatigue and the inability to run. Running was my life. I was good at it and my running club was at the centre of my social life. After much consternation I had to give all of it up. I couldn't face waiting for the runners to come back and share a drink with them because my identity, who I was, the best 5K and 10K runner in the club was lost. Everything was geared to improving, to becoming fitter and faster. Put the work in, reap the rewards, that easy goal orientated existence, all gone. And then at work, trying to tell people that I had CFS. Nobody quite believes you, they thought I was attention seeking or after sympathy. It was the loss of Identity of who I was, the ultra fit, sporting, super healthy athlete me, that was the hardest to bare.

The second major health event was (alcohol induced) peripheral neuropathy in January 2020. I see you have been dealt a double whammy and have had both of these events in one. I feel for you. The reason I have written the above is just to show that I understand what you are going through. It is truly awful. Being understood I think is important.

The acute phase for me (this may not be the correct terminology) lasted maybe two months. There was a gradual reduction in symptoms to insignificance. This in itself is a joyful experience. That took maybe another 2 months to achieve. All I have left is numb toes and fasciculations and these are insignificant.. But have residual hypersensitivity to touch and stretching from time to time.

Both my events were auto immune in cause, so I am mindful that I have to be careful for the rest of my days. I'm not sure running is actually good for the immune system.
I don't think its insignificant that you report having flu.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Atty
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote