View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 01:46 PM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member
Default Cervical surgery or not: What to do with conflicting recommendations

Hi Everyone - Over the past 2 months I've visited 5 orthopedic surgeons related to issues with my neck. I'll describe those exact issues in more detail but the overall takeaway I've learned is that there is little consistency among orthopedic surgeons in treatment and assessment for my particular case.

My current symptoms are daily pain, some intermittent pain in the left thumb, and issues gripping objects with my right hand (feels unsteady and shakes). I've had chronic neck pain for the better part of the past 5-6 years and had an MRI done at the time.

3 surgeons recommend no surgery until my symptoms worsen. Their examples are dropping objects, walking funny, bowel/bladder problems or trouble buttoning. 2 surgeons recommended surgery now to alleviate the spinal cord compression and reduce the risk of paralysis if I was in some sort of traumatic event (ex; car accident). 1 of the surgeons said my myelomalacia was progressing slowly but that differs from what others have said and the MRI report. One of the surgeons said I should get a laminoplasty and to avoid a fusion like the plague. Another surgeon said to get a 2 level disc replacement with 1 level fusion. Another said he'd fuse my entire neck if I needed surgery and another said to just get a 2 disc replacement.

What I was looking for with this post was just some advice from what others have experienced and any recommendations on how to proceed. As it stands right now, I'm 36 with 2 very young kids. Surgery is the last thing I want but if it's necessary, I'll do it. I'm just trying to figure out if it's necessary and what type of surgery to get. I appreciate your time and sorry for the long post.

Here are my issues per my most recent MRI taken in June 2021:
HISTORY: Disease of spinal cord, unspecified. Other specified diseases of spinal cord. Myelomalacia. Spinal stenosis, cervical region. Radiculopathy, cervical region. Patient states chronic intermittent posterior neck pain radiating down into bilateral shoulders for several years.

TECHNIQUE: A 1.5 Tesla system was utilized.

Contrast: The patient was injected with 15 cc out of 15 cc Clariscan single-use vial.

Multiplanar MRI of the cervical spine was performed including T1-weighted and T2-weighted sequences. Images were obtained without and with intravenous contrast.

COMPARISON: MRI cervical spine dated 9/15/2017.

FINDINGS: Cervical alignment is unchanged, without acute fracture or subluxation. There is no significant bone marrow edema or bone marrow signal abnormality.

There is flattening of the cervical spinal cord at a few levels. There is bilateral myelomalacia within the cord at the C4-C5 level, which is unchanged compared to the prior exam. There is no new cord signal abnormality. Limited evaluation of the posterior fossa is unremarkable.

At the C2-C3 level, there is disk desiccation without significant disk bulge. There is no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.

At the C3-C4 level, there is disk desiccation with a disk bulge and right greater than left uncovertebral joint hypertrophy. There is effacement of ventral CSF space with minimal flattening of the ventral spinal cord without significant canal stenosis. There is moderate right neural foraminal narrowing. There is no significant interval change.

At the C4-C5 level, there is disk desiccation with loss of disk height. There is a small disk bulge with mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy. There is effacement of ventral CSF space with mild flattening of the ventral spinal cord, with borderline narrowing of the spinal canal. There is no significant narrowing of the neural foramina. There is no significant interval change.

At the C5-C6 level, there is disk desiccation with a small disk bulge. There is left uncovertebral joint hypertrophy. There is effacement of ventral CSF space greater towards the left with mild flattening of the left ventral spinal cord and borderline narrowing of the spinal canal. There is at least moderate left greater than right neural foraminal narrowing. There is no significant interval change.

At the C6-C7 level, there is disk desiccation with a small disk bulge. There is effacement of ventral CSF space with mild flattening of the ventral spinal cord. There is mild narrowing of the neural foramina. There is no significant interval change.

At the C7-T1 level, there is no disk bulge. There is no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.

On postcontrast imaging, there is no abnormal enhancement within the cervical spine and cervical spinal cord.

Limited evaluation of the regional soft tissues demonstrates no significant focal abnormality.

IMPRESSION:
1. Multilevel degenerative change within the cervical spine, as described above, with no significant progression since 2017 imaging.
2. Stable bilateral myelomalacia of the cord at the C4-C5 level.
Results of most recent EMG and Neurologist notes taken in June 2021:
36 year old man presents for evaluation of cervical myelopathy with myelomalacia. Examination reveals hyperreflexia and mild weakness and numbness in the left C6 myotome and dermatome. MRI C spine reveals multiple disc herniations with myelomalacia at C4-5, stable over the past 4 years. EMG reveals bilateral chronic C6 radiculopathy as well as left carpal tunnel.

Overall, I suspect his myelomalacia is either traumatic or compressive in nature due to his history of being in a physical altercation in which his head probably hit the floor as well as his multiple disc herniation in his cervical spine superimposed on a congenitally small canal. I do not suspect a neurologic condition such as multiple sclerosis given the symmetric nature of the lesions and the fact that there are no other cervical spine lesions and no other lesion on brain MRI performed in 2017. B12 deficiency, copper deficiency, and other metabolic processes would more likely affect the dorsal columns than the central cord as seen here, and while syphilis and HIV are possible, he notes he has recently tested negative for these.
DesiBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote