View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 08:28 AM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member

Thank you all for the replies. There seems to be a lot of caution against having surgery, which I totally understand and appreciate. I've asked my surgeons what happens if I don't have surgery now. The ones who aren't recommending surgery now say that I will likely develop more neurological symptoms as my cervical structure degenerates as part of the normal aging process and I have will show symptoms of myelopathy. They seem to think that if caught early when I develop those symptoms, they can be reversed. The surgeons recommending surgery say that if I don't have surgery in the near future (~ 6 months) that I will also develop worsening neurological symptoms and they may not be reversible because it may be due to increased myelomalacia. They also add that if I don't have surgery soon and am in some sort of traumatic event, my likely hood of paralysis is greatly increased. This is where my dilemma is, who do I trust with these conflicting opinions? I think going with the masses makes sense, I just wanted to get 1 more opinion before making a final decision.

As far as types of surgery, I'd definitely be looking for disc replacement and have seen a few surgeons that perform those procedures. The most recent surgeon I consulted with was fresh out of school and said that in a few years from now, that'll be the norm instead of fusions. I've been told by a few surgeons that because I have so many levels with issues, I'm not a good candidate for disc replacement, though others have said they would do 2 levels or a hybrid of fusion and replacement. Again, conflicting opinions...

I'll post back after I have my final consult at the end of the month. So far I've seen only orthopedic surgeons. My last appointment is with a neurosurgeon. I'm curious to see his take on it.

Thanks again to all who have replied. I'll definitely look into some of the recommendations.
DesiBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (08-18-2021)