View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 04:09 PM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Default Thank you for your mom's story

So nice to hear a positive story! I am post unruptured brain aneurysm. My surgery was done on May 28, 2021, it was an incidental finding. Was at my daughter's house and we were talking and I began having trouble finding the right words. We left for the hospital of course we thought it was a possible stroke. I was immediately taken back to ER where a MRI was done. I was admitted and taken to the Cardiac floor. After a short while, I was informed that there was no signs of a stroke, which made me feel like I was alright. Then I had a visit from the Nerosurgeon and his assistant, in the MRI the Nerosurgeon reviewed he found an Aneurysm, they spoke to me about the surgery and explained the procedure, they wanted to do the surgery the next day. The Aneurysm was 5.2 mm I asked if I could get back to them, they gave me to 4:00 pm. I contacted the surgeon's assistant and after taking all in told her I wanted the surgery. I knew nothing about Aneurysm I was okay with my decision. I also found out that the reason for my speaking problem, it was Hyponatremia my Sodium level had dropped to 119, which should be 135. I was surprised that I was scheduled for surgery early am and noone had preped me. The coiling procedure through the groin was what the Nerosurgeon recommended. Taking to the operating center of the hospital, I first met with the Anesthesia Dr. who began an IV, next the Nerosurgeon staff showed up and I was taken into this odd looking operating room. There was a long operating table with side area for your arms. The Anesthesia Dr. placed the Anesthesia mask over my mouth and nose. I could see a screen above me, I assume that's what the surgeon uses to guide the threads and coil up to the Aneurysm. There was plenty of staff to the left and right of me. I woke up on the table, I was extremely cold. Then I realized I was completely wet. I asked why and was told I had urinated. Now I was embarrassed and cold. I was told surgery went well. All lifted me onto the bed to take me to the ICU. Normally post op patients for Aneurysms are placed on their back and not to move for 6 hours, for me it was 12 hours. My leg up to above my knee was in a devise that kept me from moving, also the gadget that's inserted into the groin wasn't removed as yet.
I spent the night and most of the next day in the ICU. It was approximately 6:00pm the 2nd day that the device on my leg was removed and it was painful they removed the device that was in my groin. I was tired, I was discharged from the ICU and taken to the Nerology floor. I was there for several days, I had an alarm set on my bed if I needed to go to the bathroom I had to contact the Nurses station. Fall risk, I had a Physical therapist come in to work with me, I was up walking, but became a little dizzy on turning. I felt it was from being in bed so long. Also had a Speech therapist that worked with me. By day 6 I was really hoping to go home, another Dr came in late day and being that my Sodium level was back to normal, he said he didn't see any reason not to discharge me. Then all Doctors, Speech Therapist and Physical Therapist had to sign off for me to receive my complete discharge papers. I hadn't had a bath or shower in 6 days, on the way home we stopped and filled the prescriptions. I was so weak and tired I waited in the car. Arriving home I had to have help into the house. I went straight to bed. When I would get up I had to hold onto walls and dressers. I was tired for about a week it hurt to speak from the breathing tube down my throat. Each day I was getting my strength back. I had noticed actually in the hospital when I was watching the TV these silver like streaks. I thought it was in the film. At home I noticed it more so, I have an appointment with eye surgeons to see what's creating the optical streaks. I have many good days, I changed my diet completely. I started getting out every day just to walk around. I had my three week follow up with Nerosurgeon and in now another 3 months they will go through the groin again, but it's not going to be like before. I will only need general Anesthesia and nothing down my throat. This is too be sure that all has healed properly. Keeping positive!
Katgeo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-20-2021)