View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 04:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Hey welcome, and good on you reading the whole thing, not many do that!

I'm in a hurry, but I actually don't think that sounds like typical peripheral neuropathy.

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, and I know some people in the neuropathy forum have this, but generally, it is a degradation of the nerves (well, their myelin sheeth) in your extremities. For all kinds of reasons, not in the least: lack of B12 from drinking. Since those nerves are the furthest away they degrade first. (taller people are at bigger risk BTW). But as you noted, there are probably 100 causes of neuropathy, certain antibiotics, statins in some cases, etc.

That said, whatever you have will almost certainly get worse when drinking. Our bodies are just not equipped to process the toxins (aldehydes mainly).

As for symptoms: I never had numbness, I went straight to excruciating pain in a matter of days. There's also a difference in which type of nerves gets hit first: sensory or motor nerves. Motor nerves are responsible for walking/keeping straight etc. I have no damage on my motor nerves, and quite a lot of damage on my sensory nerves, bad enough that it showed up on the EMG, basically from my shins down.

All this just to say: there is no easy diagnose. Even if less likely/atypical, it may still be what you have. But only a neurologist could (no guarantee) find out.
Thank you for your response! And yes, several nights of light sleep allowed for reading through both.

And I agree that I don't exactly feel like my symptoms follow what would seem to be typical peripheral neuropathy. I have some of the autonomic issues along with the muscle pain, stiffness, weakness, and mild burning. It is why I have wondered if it is more myopathic, which apparently starts more proximal and then works it way outward. I also know I saw where if it is more chronic in nature, it isn't likely to show on bloodwork, which certainly parallels my initial testing.

That is interesting on taller people, but it makes logical sense.

I do think there is a good chance this is still in part the residual side effects from the antibiotic I took years ago, but the symptoms are a little different than typical, so I am trying to determine other possible additional causes.

I have a neurologist appointment next Friday, so again, I do appreciate your thoughts as it just gives me more to talk about with him at my appointment.
ajwinpain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-20-2021), Wide-O (08-21-2021)