View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Medication question-Trihexyphenidyl

I recently posted about my 26 year old brother who had sudden onset of severe tremors and shaking. They went thru all of the tests and determined nothing chemical or seizure related. He does have a tiny arachnoid cyst according to the 1st doctor. He started taking benadryl with her recommendation with no response what-so-ever.

One week later he had occasions of not being able to walk, lasting up to 2 hours and stuttering that made him absolutely non-understandable. 4-5 trys to get out each word.

He went to another family doctor who pulled the MRI and read that there is a prominent CSF space in the midline in the posterior fossa and measures 31mm x 37mm x 47mm, this doesnt sound tiny to me. It also said a 8 mm frontal subcortical white matter, may represent gliosis or demyelination. He is going to a neurosurgeon hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

My question is with the medication Artran (Trihexyphenidyl), that the doctor started him on yesterday. Within about 3 hours we were able to understand him and his shaking was notablely decreased. We have not counted out the fact that the cyst is not causing anything (like several doctors have said )and his symptoms are related to stress and anxiety (of course increased at this point from worrying).

I guess it comes down to is this a medication that can have immediate effect? Or could it be working like a placebo for him?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Michelle
labar914 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote